Thursday, January 16, 2014

Duck Dynasty?

I had never watched Duck Dynasty and always thought it was about Duck Hunting or something. So, since it has gotten a lot of publicity lately I decided to watch it.

Mostly what I thought is that these were country people whose extended families are close. This was much more common in the past (like before 1960) all over the place.

The unusual thing is all the men tend to have long hair and beards, so it reminded me in some ways of a sort of Amish Community except they appear to own a warehouse of some kind.

My experience of living in the country in places like Mt. Shasta, California and in Hawaii is that people tend to help each other more because they are more remote from city life. So, people in the country often are more eccentric, clannish (family wise) and often have more conservative values which tends to be the way things are out in the country.

I can remember when I was 4 years old and moved from Seattle to San Diego and what a real shock that kind of move was for me. The biggest change was the weather and the way people behaved. I sort of liked the way people spent so much time outside in bathing suits and bermuda shorts all the time even in the winter because it never got too much colder than about 55 or 60 in San Diego at least during the daytimes. So, life was just so different than being in Seattle at ages 2 to 4 years of age and being put in a snow suit and stuck outside in the cold and freezing in the snow by myself because I wanted to be outside. So, I started wandering around the neighborhood then in 1952 and meeting kids and learning all sorts of new things and ideas that I wasn't exposed to in Seattle which is more polite and sort of like Canada in some ways. So, relatively speaking going from Seattle to San Diego was sort of like moving from Seattle to Hawaii or something because the temperature changes and lifestyle was that different than Seattle.

I like the way people tend to take better care of each other in the country because often people in cities will die alone in their homes or apartments and people don't find them dead for weeks or sometimes even years. This would be  much less likely to happen out in the country people people look out for each other more there.

I can remember when I lived 10 miles from the nearest small town and it was 20 degrees. My fan belt broke on my car and the car was boiling over and wouldn't run that way. I was afraid my family would freeze that far from civilization where my car broke down. My kids were 8 to 12 years of age and my wife and I then were in our early 30s. I couldn't figure out how to help us because no one was driving on that paved road. Then a guy in a pickup truck from Alaska stopped and said, "What's Wrong?" I told him I couldn't run my car without a fan belt. He rummaged around behind his driver's seat and pulled out a used fan belt. He said, " I think this is your lucky day. I have the right size." He had the tools too and installed it on my car. It worked great! I said, "How much to I owe you?" He said, "I'm from Alaska. We take care of each other up there. Help the next person you see that needs help." So, I was helped for free and my family didn't die there in the cold far away from civilization. And I helped the next 10 people I saw in distress in their cars and trucks because someone helped me when I most needed it to keep my family alive.

No comments: