Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters:2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt1428538/
Rating: 6.2/10 - ‎103,933 votes
Directed by Tommy Wirkola. With Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Peter Stormare, Famke Janssen. Hansel & Gretel are bounty hunters who track and kill ...
 
I didn't want to watch this movie because I could see this wasn't my thing, but my wife chose it so I was sort of along for the ride and wondering why I was watching this. I couldn't figure out how a serious audience could watch this because it was just so very escapist. It reminded me in some ways of what the historical truth was that the Catholic Church persecuted midwive's which often were burned at the stake as witches. Another one of their trades was beermakers especially when their husbands had been killed in wars just to try to make enough money to survive at all. So, the historical truth is about disempowering women so they cannot  survive at all if their men had been killed or died somehow. So, to see this movie it sort of took things in an entirely different direction than what was historically true during these times and took one to a place where the 12th to 19th century technology and culture  was all bended into a sort of surrealistic fantasy. 
 
However, it did win a "Best Fight Scene" award from MTV. So, basically it is fantasy but too scary for little kids to watch so maybe this was directed at the 15 to 25 crowd which maybe is why it won the best fight scene award from MTV.

No comments: