Sunday, January 12, 2014

Kindness is s Strength not a liability

People who are kind often are strong too in their lives. Often they are financially well off or they are physically big enough not to worry about people harming them like this. Why is this?

Mostly because it is usually better to be kind from a place of strength rather than a place of weakness. So, learning to be kind if one feels weak in their position in life often the practice is to first to learn to be kind to oneself.

How does one learn to be kind to oneself?

Often in life there have been people while you were growing up that were unkind to you. So, the first lesson is to compensate for those unkind actions directed at you by learning to be kind to yourself. So, rather than to repeat the awful experience you received from others upon yourself, reverse the actions on yourself by being kind to yourself.

Once you learn how to be kind to yourself by not believing all the unkind actions towards you then you can begin to learn to be kind to others from the strength you develop in being kind to yourself.

One starts this process by saying to oneself, "I believe in myself. I am a good person and I will prove to myself that I am  good person who deserves my respect and the respect of others around me. In the end as long as I love and respect myself I can also learn to love and respect all others and to separate myself from unkind people who have harmed me in my life.

At a more advanced stage of all this you might even be strong enough to be around some of the people who harmed you to begin to help them learn to be kind to themselves too. However, this requires a whole lot of patience and practice. And unless you are really prepared for this you might slip back into old actions and reactions which might not be productive for you or others.

So, in kindness to yourself don't seek out problem people without being sure you are at a point in your compassionate development of yourself where you actually are strong enough to deal with this.

No comments: