Friday, January 31, 2014

The potential problems to getting fast internet service

The first problem might be your computer is too clogged with cookies and other extraneous information that tracks whatever you do all the time to too many companies. The second layer is your actual connection to the internet. Do you have a password on your wifi so your neighbors aren't stealing your bandwidth or doing things through your wifi that are illegal?

The third level is are you getting for the service you are paying for. There are apps you can download to test the speed of the bandwidth you are getting. By testing periodically how fast you can upload and download information you can make sure what you are promised and are paying for you are actually getting.

Most of the time I have gotten sort of lazy around all this because I have been studying computer systems and interfaces and languages since 1966 when I was 18. So, after countless generations of computers and hardware and software to the point where I have to sort of forget most of what I know every 2 to 5 years at the most I get a little lazy and only learn the bare minimum of every new system now. I remember a doctor telling me when I was 17 that he had forgotten more than I presently knew. Though I was offended by this I can now say to you if you are under 40, "I have forgotten more about computers than you now know" and have this be a serious statement if you are under 40 years of age.

So anyway, if you are checking the speed of your computer at accessing information and the speed of your capacity to upload and download information and the speed of your modem and the Internet in general where you are the only way to maybe speed up is to go to another area of your country or world where there is faster service than you are presently getting where you are.

And even this  you might want to think about. For example, in the U.S. some of the fastest speeds are going to be around Silicon valley or around universities in the U.S. because of all the techs and computer science students that would help make and keep it that way.

And the same likely would be true in other countries as well. Wherever universities are with computer science students and graduate students you are likely going to find the fastest general Internet speeds as well.

No comments: