Sunday, June 22, 2014

Farmer's Markets and Orchard Supply

My 25 year old daughter and I decided to visit a local farmer's market today after looking for one in the area that was open today online. After that we decided to go to Orchard Supply to get potting soil for growing organic vegetables in a raised area in our backyard. I wanted raised beds because I have two dogs that I didn't want to get into them. So, I set up last week building raised beds up on our redwood deck starting at about 3 feet in height so they are about 3 feet by 16 feet long. So, today we got potting soil but also someone at Orchard told us of a place that had a skip loader where they would custom mix a blend of soils for us and dump it in the back of my pickup truck with a loader. This only cost about 40 dollars to do so I was kind of happy. Then we paid another 100 dollars for potting soil to plant the veggies into and this only is about the top 6 inches of about a total of around 2 feet deep of soil we are using.

However, my Dad's old Wheelbarrow needed a new wheel because it was a 1968 that we carried cement in when we build Dad's and Mom's house in the desert above Yucca Valley starting in 1968. Then we worked on it until Dad and Mom retired out there in 1980. So, I bought a wheel and tire but it turned out to be the wrong size so my daughter hopped in her car and exchanged it for the right one.

Then we finally got it all together and moved all the soil into the backyard raised planter. Though we were tired after all that we felt we had accomplished something today.

I think a whole lot more of you are likely going to be doing something like this soon if you haven't already the way Gas prices (and food prices) are going up.

My wife said food prices went up about 20% in the last month or so in relation to the kinds of things we ordinarily buy.

Also, I got a new setup for the faucets on our kitchen sink. I like the kinds that have a hose you pull out of the main setup so I got one that goes up about a foot or two so I can fill large pots and pans (or wash them if I want to but also so I can also pull out the main section to do other jobs too. The one I got it says here is $256  however, I think I only paid around $200 for it where I bought it. You can pull the piece out and direct it around if you need to. My cousin had one like this and I liked the way it worked in his house so decided to get one and install it for myself.



$113.22
Google Trusted StoreFaucetDir...
$246.54
Google Trusted StoreFaucetDir...
$289.77
Google Trusted StoreWayfair
$255.00
Google Trusted StoreFaucetDir...
$256.26
Google Trusted StoreNational B...
$246.54
OverstockDe...
$246.54
PlumbingDep...
$246.54
Faucet.com

No comments: