Sunday, October 26, 2014

Surviving Jet Lag

Or night is day and day is night.

When I flew to South Korea it is 16 hours ahead of now or 4 hours ahead chronologically in a 12 hour clock cycle. So, right now it is 3 o'clock in thee morning and anytime in the last year or so likely I would be asleep because even if I stay up late because I can because I'm mostly retired I still 99% would be asleep right now because 2:00 to 2:30 am is usually the latest I ever stay up.

However, right now it is 3:00 AM and I just got up again because I couldn't sleep anymore. When people have a 9 to 5 job they couldn't do this because they have to force their bodies to sleep to keep their jobs when they return at whatever day and whatever the time. But, I'm mostly retired so I have learned in my late 60s to force a return to my normal schedule is a good way to get sick for a week or more. So, I knew when I went to South Korea it likely was going to take me about a month to completely adjust back to California Pacific Time in my sleep cycle.

However, I wanted to visit friends that are going to be gone from November 1st through the 15th even though I had hoped they would still be there a week or so later because I just got back from South Korea last Monday. I tried to get my wife to go with me but she still doesn't feel strong enouhg because of her new knee replacement to drive that far so I guess I'm going alone.

So, I'm sitting here at 3 am eating cactusfruit chocolates from South Korea from Jeju Island to be specific wondering which end is up body clock wise. (Imagine prickly pears in chocolate from Jeju Island). Sort of exotic don't you think?

However, if you were sleeping from around 4 to 6 am to about noon to 2 am for around 10 days in South Korea (California TIME) up until last Monday when you flew back on the roughest flight across the ocean you ever flew on that far you might be up at 3am sitting eating Cactusfruit Chocolates and writing your own blog like this too. Basically, it is really hard for me to sleep lately from about 1 am to about 6 AM now I have returned from Asia. I could get really upset about this or I just can go with it so I don't get sick from trying to force myself back on a California normal Sleep schedule.

No comments: