Wednesday, November 26, 2014

REI

We went to the REI in Portland today to prepare for winter. I had lost my downhill ski gloves(one of them) likely dropped while on a lift so I needed a new pair. I was asking my daughter's boyfriend what the difference is between snow boarders' gloves and ski gloves and he and the sale lady said, "Not much". But the sales lady said you want to keep your fingers warm and one way to do that is to have a glove that either is two fingers in each finger or to get a glove mitten style where there are no fingers only a thumb. I decided to go for a a mitten style with individual fingers inside for maximum warmth because the individuals warming of fingers inside a leather glove mitten really is going to keep my fingers warm in a maximum way in all conditions skiing.

Keeping your fingers from getting so cold you get frostbite on the tips of them is usually one of the biggest problems you deal with when you get cold while skiing. If you are in heavy snow it can also be your nose as snow melts on your nose and the wind is going by from traveling 30 mph or more while the wind is also blowing in a blizzard. So, I usually take a wool hat that can convert into a full wool balaclava to keep my nose warm and wear either shaded ski goggles or mountain climbing glasses so you won't go snow blind in the sun while exposed to the reflection of the sun on the snow. My ex-wife in the early 1980s couldn't see anything but sparks for about a week of being completely snow blind when she forgot her sunglasses skiing once. She never did that again.

No comments: