Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Is Knowledge Magic?

I suppose someone could say this just like one could say that being enlightened is magic.

I had an experience that reminds me of this when I went to India in 1985. Over 60% of the people then had never been to school not even 1st grade. So, there was this ever present feeling of "magic" in the air around them because that is all they had, their faith.

People who aren't educated who believe in something live and the rest usually die because unless you believe in something you don't usually live very long.

So, as educated westerners (even our children 10 to 14) were considered to be (by the uneducated) sort of like "Gold Plated E.T.s". This is actually how we were perceived in many places "like people who were educated and came from another planet "The U.S." then.

So, sometimes a thousand or more people would gather around us in a circle and stare at us.

This took a lot of getting used to. In fact I don't think we ever completely got used to this. However, what happened to me is that after these experiences I felt the power of Nobles Oblige which is the obligation of the educated and privileged to help those less privileged. So, after this realization I realized I had to give a token of money to whoever asked for my help from then on in my life. It didn't have to be a lot, it just had to be something. So, after that if someone walked up to me and said "Backsheesh" (which means sort of Help me!) I gave them some small coin. Even here in the U.S. if I feel it is safe I usually give a dollar to 20 dollars depending upon what I feel shown by God to do for people in need here too.

So, is Knowledge Magic?

I guess it really depends upon your point of view.

However, Wisdom is knowledge applied perfectly which is magic!

No comments: