Saturday, January 31, 2015

I don't like calling ISIL ISIS

Though the U.S. government seems to prefer calling ISIS ISIL, most other people want to call ISIS ISIS.

However, I think this is a bad name to use because ISIS was originally an Egyptian Goddess of the Pharaohs of ancient Egypt so I consider this to be a misuse of the name.

I have tried to use only ISIL but I'm not sure how successful this has been because many people only seem to know ISIS as ISIS and don't recognize the word ISIL as being the same thing. So, I'm finding my wanting to call ISIS ISIL and the U.S. government wanting to call ISIS ISIL just isn't enough to overcome most people's understanding of the whole situation. So, I'm finding I have to call it both names so enough people understand what I'm talking about. So, I guess I'm sort of frustrated by this but I cannot decide what people choose to understand and what they don't. But, then again this is life as it happens rather than life as I might want it to be. So, I likely will begin more calling ISIS ISIL or both or whatever seems to be appropriate in the moment. So, even though I don't like this both names now appear to be completely interchangeable to the average person here on earth. However, most seem to want to use ISIS which I still think is a misuse of the Goddess ISIS' name.

Daesh by the way is a derogatory name for ISIL in Syria:

begin quote from:

  1. France says the name 'ISIS' is offensive, will call it 'Daesh ...

    theweek.com/.../france-says-name-isis-offensive-call-daesh-ins...
    The Week
    What's in a name? When it comes to how to refer to the extremist group that has terrorized Syria and northern Iraq and violently imposed a caliphate, a lot.
  2. Twitter/CBC News
    What's in a name? When it comes to how to refer to the extremist group that has terrorized Syria and northern Iraq and violently imposed a caliphate, a lot.
    The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) is a bit of a misnomer, says France, as it lends the imprimatur of Islam to a group that the vast majority of Muslims finds despicable. "This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims, and Islamists," France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The Arabs call it 'Daesh' and I will be calling them the 'Daesh cutthroats.'"
    The name Daesh, according to France24, is a "loose acronym" for "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (al-Dawla al-Islamiya al-Iraq al-Sham). The name is commonly used by enemies of ISIS, and it also has many negative undertones, as Daesh sounds similar to the Arabic words Daes ("one who crushes something underfoot") and Dahes ("one who sows discord"). Samantha Rollins


No comments: