Monday, February 23, 2015

One practical Reason why men wear Stubble Beards

If you live in California in Southern or Northern California and you are outside much during the day you have to put on Sun Block to keep from getting Skin cancer or wear a hat. So, wearing a stubble beard or longer beard is one way to lessen the need for sunblock. In California you have to be concerned about this year around especially in Southern California where it is sunny most of the time. However, skin cancers are even more prevalent in places like the San Francisco Bay area where people often forget to sunblock because it is overcast with high fog during the Summers and winters there. So, in the  SF Bay area the sunniest times tend to be spring and fall and not summer or winter.

So, because of this you will see men who spend a lot of time outdoors wearing short or long stubble beards so they don't have to put on sunblock every day on their faces.

Also, in 1995 my Aunt died here in Santa Barbara of a melanoma which metastasised into her stomach and intestines.

But, even though a melanoma has about a 90% to 100% chance of starting to become fatal within 6 months to a year, there are also things like Squamish cell and Basil cells cancers that you have to watch out for too on your skin.

After my Aunt's memorial in 1995 my mother and I went to a dermatologist and he began cutting off Squamish cell carcinomas on both of us. Because living in California for so long out of doors caused both of us to have stuff cut off.

On me, it was on the right side of my nose. So, the effect was sort of like a plastic surgery that isn't noticeable anymore. So, it is important to stay on top of these even though Squamish and Basil Cell Carcinomas only metasticize 5% to 10% of the time and become fatal you still need to have them removed by a dermatologist who specializes in this so you don't die. There are also combination dermatologist Plastic surgeons a lot here in California if the cancer is on an area you would be afraid normally to have excised.

Although I always hated wearing hats except for balaclavas for skiing and keeping frostbite off my nose and face and to be able to breathe through wool to keep from hurting my lungs at temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit when I was breathing heavily Mountaineering skiing at higher altitudes, I have had to wear baseball style hats out in the sun ever since 1995 and this has kept me from getting any serious squamish or other cancers on my face since 1995 when I had that one removed.

If you are an out of doors person like me you also have to protect your skin from too much sun these days, (especially since the Magnetosphere doesn't protect us anymore from Cosmic rays and Solar Flares) like it did more before the early 2000s.

No comments: