Sunday, April 19, 2015

For Doctor Fox: Meet my grandfather who I am so very much like: the Robert Duvall character

  1. www.imdb.com/title/tt0327137/fullcredits   Cached
    Secondhand Lions (2003) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more.
     
    This movie touched me very deeply. The character robert Duvall played WAS the kind of man my Grandfather actually was. I remember in Lake Forest Park at age 4 walking to visit my girlfriend (I always had girlfriends even then) I don't know why) I walked past a hornets nest and was stung many many times. He heard my screams and made me stay watch what he did to hornets. 
     
    He got some gasoline and poured it over the nest. Then he lit the nest and made me watch the hornets and hornet babies all die. I used this method the rest of my life to protect my family. It also taught me self defense against all creatures animals or humans. You do things smart and you protect your family no matter what even if you die doing it. 
     
    Here my grandfather taught me so much. He was my hero from then on in my life. He worried about me though because I was so much like him. But, at least I wasn't red headed and 6 foot 2 1/2 inches tall. Once some guys weren't treating him right at a job(he was an electrical contracor) He took on 13 guys in a fight and won that day. 
     
    Yep that was my grandfather. YOu (f---) with him and he'd put you in the hospital no questions asked.
     
    Another true story about my grandad. He grew a victory garden for the war effort" world war II' 
    When he went to the government to get his gas coupons for harvest of his war effort Victory Garden they told him that the season for his strawberries and tomatoes was over. He calmly like the old cowboy (born in the 1870s in Kansas)(his father was Captain David Hartzell of the northern Army from Kansas in the Civil War,
     
    he brought his unloaded double barrel shotgun to the counter and said, "Give me my gas coupons like cowboys still did in the 1940s" they gave him his gas coupons. (you don't f---) with my grandad because he was a Kansas cowboy and you might wind up dead if you did or worse.
     
    another time he was told (I think the mining laws changed around 1960 or so and he had a 2000 acred gold mining claim in Idaho where he lived alone 6 months a year spring through fall of every year after he retired I think during world war II.
     
    A forest ranger came and told him he had to leave his mining claim. He shot the ranger's hat off with a 30 odd 6 I still own (that hasn't been shot now in over 40 years) which I was very worried the police might take from me when I had a bad health event a couple of days ago now.
     
    But, luckily they weren't interested in guns that were no longer really guns the last 40 years or so and only family heirlooms. I think of grandad a lot now as death haunts my reverie. 
     
    So, I now make each and every day count. So, I hope to see you grandpa sooner or later when I get there to be with you once again.

No comments: