Sunday, May 24, 2015

Calming yourself

There are many ways to calm yourself but first it might be important to also say, "If you are in danger or someone you know is in danger right now, maybe being calm is not the right response."

However, if you can logically look around you and say to yourself, "I'm upset and I need to calm down and I see no reason to be upset right now", sometimes you can use the following method to calm yourself.

First of all what do you want to experience instead of being upset?

If you want to experience calm you can start by going to the bathroom or on your lunch break from work or school and just say to yourself in your own mind, "I am Calm! I am Calm! I am Calm!"

Be firm with yourself like a parent would be to calm a child in an emergency.

You could also say, "I am at peace!" I am at Peace" I am at Peace!"

But, what is important here is that we all have feelings for a reason. What are your feelings trying to tell you about your life?

This likely is even more important than calming yourself. Because we can all likely calm ourselves while everyone dies around us and the whole world blows up or something like that.

So, assessing what is really going on within and around you might be the single most important thing you do.

You don't want to be calm when things are dangerous. You might just want to get ready to run or whatever you need to do to survive whatever it is.

Be realistic. There are times to be calm and there are times when you just have to take care of business. As long as you aren't being unrealistic there is no problem with being calm, is there?

No comments: