Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Rogue Waves in Northern California

IF you aren't a beach person like I have always been, (I was a surfer in Southern California from 1962 to 1969), you might not notice. But, right now watch out whenever you are at the beach today. I was standing back throwing orange tennis balls for my yellow Labrador and my daughter's corgi with an orange plastic "Chuckit" thrower when a rogue wave hit us. I was standing 50 feet from the waters edge at the ocean so I was pretty surprised when it came up 100 feet more and wet me to the waist. But, at least it didn't suck me back out to sea like it does some people. So, when I first looked at the beach I could tell it was (Storm) conditions after that rains last night and some today. However, then I watched the tennis ball ride 150 feet inland into a previously dry lagoon all summer so the lagoon filled up with this sea water while the orange tennis ball I had to wade out into the lagoon because by then the dogs had been surprised too and had lost track of it.

So, be really careful and remember if you are on rocks many people are seriously injured or die this way from now until about April or May in Northern California. So, if you aren't used to what oceans do under different conditions likely you should stay away from beaches and especially stay off rocks near the beach so you aren't injured or killed if you don't understand what oceans can do to people.'

I think the dogs noticed something was wrong first and were okay even though they both got quite wet. But, it took me a moment because I was in the middle of a throw with the Chuckit of an orange tennis ball.

So, be careful here in Northern California until the storms and it's effects are passed.

No comments: