Friday, January 29, 2016

The Human Condition

A friend told us this week she was told this week she might die because of an infected tooth if the infection spread to her heart.

Another friend texted this morning that she was in the hospital with her father because his wife had been hit by a car and wasn't expected to live.

If you are wondering why there is sort of an edge to my writing this week this is a part of it.

It makes me realize how every person is always very close to death. We just like to pretend otherwise.

However, though I'm both a mystical Christian and a Tibetan Buddhist at the same time, my Buddhist training tells me that "Life is impermanent" and often to meditate on impermanence.

Why?

Because realistically we could die any moment and to be prepared for this is only wise.

To not be prepared for death any moment like people are in most of the world is completely unrealistic.

Death should be a part of everyone's meditation every single day.

It's not that death should be your whole thing in life.

It's that if you are not prepared to die in any given moment you cannot really ever live.

Facing death is what it means to be truly alive.

So, when I am prepared to face death I am also the most alive in these same moments.

I take my stand and understand what my life is truly about.

Each moment is precious.

Prepare for death in any moment.

It is the only way to actually be alive.

By the Grace of God

No comments: