Sunday, January 31, 2016

Trees going down all over from heavy winds off the ocean after so much rain

As I was hiking with my dogs about every hundred yards I noticed I had to move branches that had blown or were blowing out of trees as I walked by.

Then as I got into my 4 wheel drive truck I went my main route home from the forest. however, it was blocked by a huge 3 foot through very tall pine tree likely more than 100 years old.

Then I took an alternate route home but found I had to drive into the oncoming lane because two more large branches from huge pine trees were blocking the road.

Then finally I realized I couldn't drive on that road at all because a 2 foot through large dead pine tree had come down and completely blocked the road. So, I put my emergency flashers on so people coming up behind me wouldn't hit me and got out and tried to move the tree. I realized the weight was over 1000 pounds because of the rain so I realized I couldn't move it unless I had a winch built into my front bumper so I gave up and turned around and drove back the other way with my emergency flashers on so no one else got into trouble on that road.

Then I waved for oncoming traffic to stop. It looked like a Volunteer Firewoman by her uniform and I told her this road was blocked too and to watch out for the two huge branches blocking this lane she was in too.

She said exasperatedly, "You mean this road is blocked too!" Because she was only at this point about 3 blocks from the fire Station which is a CDF Fire Station and would now have to drive miles to get to some place only 3 blocks away from her.

I went back now to a 3rd alternate route which took me about 100 feet from the first 3 foot through 100 plus year old pine tree that was down. But I made it home okay.

Before I left to walk the dogs I opened a window for some fresh air but it blew the louvres almost off the hinges so I thought better of it and it also slammed my bedroom door very hard. So, this was a clue that we probably had at least a 50 mile per hour ongoing wind with gusts possibly higher to around 70 or 80.

No comments: