Thursday, August 25, 2016

A simple way to understand non-dualism

Is rain good or bad?
Is snow good or bad?
Is any person really good or bad?
Is any nation really good or bad?
Is any town really good or bad?
Is any family really good or bad?

As a little child you might answer that one or more of these things are inherently bad.

However, if you are a grown up healthy adult with the capacity for college level critical thinking you will see that trying to say any of these things or people are either good or bad is actually childish and not worthy of you saying in the first place.

Why?

Is rain good or bad?
Without rain we all die without enough potable water to drink unless the world starts desalinization of oceans. So, rain is good unless it floods and kills people. If it doesn't come at all it's a drought and people and animals die so that is bad. But, without any rain people die all over the place. So, is rain good or bad? It's always both if you are realistic. It can always be both good and bad even on the same day to 1000 different people.

Is snow good or bad?

IF you want to go skiing snow is good if you have skis or snowboards and clothes and aren't going to freeze to death in it. But, if you are caught in a snowstorm without enough clothes you are going to turn into a popsicle and that's the end of you. So, is snow good or bad? It's both.

Is any nation good or bad?

One nation most people consider bad is North Korea here on earth. But, Likely to the people there who have been brainwashed into thinking the leader is a diety, everyone else on earth is the enemy because of their brainwashing. Is North Korea good or bad?

The best way might be to use Descartes philosophical saying: "There is nothing so good than no bad may come of it and nothing so bad that no good may come of it."

This saying is a truism that I find true all the time here on earth regarding almost anything which leads me to believe usually "Too much of a good thing may become a bad thing. But also, Bad things often spur people to move towards good things eventually."

People might say to me that I was abused by the religion I was raised in at age 21 and almost forced to commit suicide like many others have when excommunicated from their religions for being too progressive (in my case for 1969). However, I see that experience now as one of the most important experiences that has led to my personal enlightenment and has helped me to be able to help thousands of people directly from me almost dying over the next few years 1969 until 1973 until my girlfriend got pregnant and I couldn't worry about myself anymore. I had to think of others rather than myself.

So, non-dualism is about being realistic and giving up being childish because Dualism only works really for children or people who stay children all their lives.

This, for me, doesn't change my love for Christianity at all. It just makes me more realistic when I study Jesus historically, that he was likely a man like you and I who was really brilliant and who could do amazing things. However, this might mean he started out just like all the rest of us and came as an example for all of us to follow. Jesus was a mentor for us all.

No comments: