Thursday, December 8, 2016

Hairspray live on NBC

  1. My wife and I watched this on NBC from a DVR recording. We watched 1/2 last night and 1/2 tonight. It was nostalgic to remember David Clark and "American Bandstand" I watched back then with all the kids dancing and new performers every week then on TV.

    In 1962 I was 14 years old and lived in Los Angeles and things were starting to change a lot then. Kennedy was president, The Cuban missile crisis was happening and when I was about 16 the Watts riots happened about 10 or 20 miles from where I lived. I could see the whole area of Watts from the smoke rising. You could see this billowing smoke cloud from almost every place in Los Angeles County then. And for me living in an all white neighborhood then the smoke rising was not the scariest thing. The scariest thing was all the white people out at night in the hills nearby target practicing to shoot any black people that came into our city then. Times have changed now a lot from those times thank God.

    The next year after 1962 Kennedy was shot and everyone cried. I was 15 in Glendale High School as a sophomore and someone said the president of Mexico had been shot in Gymn class. I didn't know who he was. But then, I walked from Gymn class to my sophomore English class and all the girls were crying. The radio was on and everyone looked sad and the boys all tried to comfort the lady teacher (Mrs. Barr) and all the girls who were in a state of shock then. (The boys were too we were just trained to be more stoic then and to take care of all the women no matter what we felt then).

    It was terrifying that Kennedy had been shot because we were in a Cold War and everyone knew Kruschev and Castro had killed Kennedy and we knew our government would lie to us about it and they did. Confidence in Government went from 75% down to 25 % or less after that and has never returned. The present confidence of Congress is about at 11% right now with Obama much higher into the high 50s now though.

     

    The world was and is a very scary place then and now. Now reminds me of then a lot when Kennedy was assassinated when our Democracy might go away like then.

    Hairspray took me back to race riots and assassinations and also American Bandstand where blacks and whites first danced together on TV and this began to change everything as teenagers of all races began to dance together on TV in front of everyone then. 

    Trump reminds me a lot of Nixon who also had no respect for human rights either.

     Nixon's statement of "IF the president does it, it's legal" could also apply to Trump now and is just as wrong as when Nixon said it back then. And also look what happened to Nixon.

    begin quote from 

    Hairspray Live - NBC.com

    www.nbc.com/hairspray-live
    Harvey Fierstein, Jennifer Hudson, Ariana Grande, Maddie Baillio and more star on the NBC musical event, Hairspray Live!
  2. Hairspray Live News


No comments: