Monday, January 16, 2017

49 degrees Fahrenheit

At one point today it was 49 degrees both here where I live and also in Mt. Shasta City at the same time. I had friends visiting here on the northern California coast from Mt. Shasta. First, I took them on my favorite path into the forest which takes you by redwoods with streams running. I usually wear my rubber Crocs so I can walk through where the streams intersect with the trails through the water. But, the water had created rivulets in specific places so you could actually step over those places this time which was great. I showed my friends my favorite redwood trees in the valley where the water flows. I had been worried that all the water this year might erode one of the biggest and stateliest redwoods but luckily the water (through Chaos Theory) had chosen another route which no longer threatened the roots of this big tree. Another species of tree at least 30 feet tall had already succumbed to the stream eating away and creating a small waterfall 10 feet high there in the valley floor but at least now the big redwood would be okay. A 4 foot through pine had also fallen across the trail at one point and you either now have to climb over it or walk about a block around it so some of us did both this time. The dogs just crawled under it because there was enough space for them to do this.

When we got to the biggest part of the stream we went on further up the hill and out of the valley where the redwoods are on the trail up to a fire road nearby and then came back a different way with the dog.

Later we went to the beach where it was a cold breeze but the sun was out. But, I noticed I was starting to get a stiff neck from the wind on the side where the sun wasn't hitting me so I lifted up the collar on my jacket to keep this from happening on that side of my neck. The waves were breaking big today so it was pretty spectacular with 6 feet to 8 feet high waves breaking on the big rock outcroppings out in the ocean near the beaches.

No comments: