- The Wall Street Journal6 hours agoKorea’s nuclear program. Satellite imagery shows signs that North Korea may be preparing a nuclear test ahead of its biggest holiday, the birth... Sung, on Saturday. An ...
begin quote from:CNN.com11 hours agoAir China is suspending flights between Beijing and the North Korean capital of Pyongyang.
- Zero Hedge1 day ago...be an imminent preemptive airstrike on North Korea by US warships now located just 300 miles away from the North Korean nuclear test site, moments ago China's national airline, Air China, announced...
Air China is suspending flights between Beijing and the North Korean capital of Pyongyang.The suspension of service by the state-owned carrier will go into effect from Monday, according to Chinese state media.
"We will schedule flights on this route based on passenger demand," the representative told CNN.
The suspension, however, comes amid rising tensions on the Korean peninsula. North Korea, which is developing nuclear and ballistic missile capabilities, is facing increased pressure from the Trump administration to curtail work on the programs.
Air China had been operating three round-trip flights a week between the two capital cities, according to its published timetable. But service had become sporadic in recent months.
The suspension threatens to sever a key link between the isolated nation and the outside world.
China is North Korea's economic bedrock, accounting for more than 80% of its smaller neighbor's foreign trade.
North Korea's biggest source of foreign currency is believed to come from the millions of tons of coal it sells to China every year. This accounted for about a third of official exports in 2015.
President Trump issued a series of tweets on Tuesday calling on China to "solve the North Korean problem."
North Korea responded by warning of a "merciless" response to any hostile military, economic or political moves by the "reckless" Trump administration, according to a statement from a North Korean army spokesman that appeared on the state-run news agency KCNA.
Related: Photos from inside North Korea
North Korean state carrier Air Koryo offers regular service between Pyongyang and the Chinese cities of Beijing and Shenyang.
-- Will Ripley, Jon Ostrower, Pamela Boykoff and Steven Jiang contributed reporting.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- Russia and Brazil Hit Hardest in Sovereign Risk Ratings...
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Glastonbury Abbey-Wikipedia
- Will Trump throw us into another Great Depression like the one Hoover put us into? (both Businessmen by the way)
- HTML is a computer language: HTTP is a Protocol which computer Internet languages like HTML operate within
- Geomagnetic storm knocks out all ATM and Credit card transactions many places around the world yesterday
- Trump's stance on Sanctuary Cities only make MS 13 Gang stronger
- Why don't we hear more about what Geomagnetic Storms (often from the sun) do to technology on earth?
- If you have HBO with your cable package you also have potential access to HBO Go