Amateur surfer Charlie Frye is lucky to be alive after punching a shark in the face using a maneuver he once saw a surf champion use, he said.
“I feel [like] there was a hand grabbing me, shaking me. I feel like I was going to be eaten alive, like I generally thought I was going to die, like I was eaten by a shark,” Frye, a 25-year-old British doctor living in Australia, told 9News in Australia.
PHOTO: Avoca Beach in Australia was closed after a shark attack, Nov. 14, 2017.9News
Avoca Beach in Australia was closed after a shark attack, Nov. 14, 2017.
Frye and three of his doctor friends were surfing Monday off Avoca Beach, which is 90 miles north of Sydney.
"I thought it was a friend goofing around,” Frye, who was bitten on the shoulder, said. “I turned and I saw this shark come out of the water and breach its head.”
In the life-or-death moment, the amateur surfer thought of Australian pro surfer Mick “White Lightning” Fanning, who famously fought off a shark attack at a 2015 surfing championship in South Africa by punching it in the face.
“I felt something on my shoulder like a big thud,” Frye told 9News. “The shark's head come out of the water and I just punched the shark in the face.”
PHOTO: Charlie Fry, 25, is interviewed about being attacked by a shark at Avoca Beach, Australia, Nov. 14, 2017.9News
Charlie Fry, 25, is interviewed about being attacked by a shark at Avoca Beach, Australia, Nov. 14, 2017.
At first, Frye didn’t realize his puncture wounds were bleeding. His friends then drove him to a hospital, which is where they all also worked, he said.
If he ever meets Fanning, Frye said, he “owes him a beer.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.