Saturday, December 30, 2017

Playful curiosity creates innovation

Playfully assembling ideas from diverse disciplines creates innovation. Genius comes from many different disciplines. So, the more things you know about the more helpful you are to yourself and others.

For example, in my own life I like science so I got very good grades in science from grade school on. But, I hadn't studied psychology because my parents hadn't been to college at all. But, my father had been a valedictorian of his High School Class and had become first an electrician and then Electrical Contractor because of the Great Depression in 1934 when he graduated. While many college graduates were starving to death in the 1930s my father always had a car and a job working with his father just like his other two brothers because people always need someone to fix everything electrical or to build new houses or businesses. However, college graduates during a Great Depression mostly all starve to death because unless you are a tradesman like a carpenter, electrician, plumber, ranch hand or something real and important to people's survival you don't have a job unless you are independently wealthy.

So, for me, finding a copy of Psychology Today in 1971 at Palomar College in the college library and reading it for the first time was a revelation for me.

Within an hours time I realized 90% of what was bothering me had nothing to do with me at all, it was all about my relatives baggage and my parents baggage and not mine at all. So, I just let it all go and realized unless I just dealt with my own problems and let all my relatives and parents problems go I wasn't going to survive my life.

So, I did and here I am now 50 years later still alive and relatively happy in my choices.

You can either take on your whole family's history and commit suicide by it or you can choose to live for yourself and stay alive. This is everyone's choice and I'm glad I made the right one.

Being intelligent can be a help or a curse but understanding the basics of psychology allowed me to stay alive through everything in my life.

And staying alive coming of age in the late 1960s during the Cultural Revolution was no easy thing for anyone my age. Just ask anyone who grew up then.

So, the more you can learn to be playful the more you might solve your problems and stay alive.
For me, my playfulness really got going when I was 26 in Hawaii living there for the first time. I saw how the snow in Europe and the north east of America had created "Workaholics" of my father and his father. I didn't want to go that way too. Luckily the world had changed enough to allow me to be an "Idea" man rather than just another plodder in life by that time. So, I was allowed to be innovative in many ways my relatives and ancestors simply were not allowed to be before.

To be in a place in life where you can be light years ahead of most other people because you understand fully things they do not yet allows you to be innovative in many remarkable ways that hopefully eventually filter down to everyone else around you in time.

Realizations come one by one and you cannot force people around you to become enlightened like you are. You might give them hints but they might not be ready for those hints. So, the best you can do is to travel at your own speed which might be light years faster than anyone you know.

By God's Grace

No comments: