And the lady recognized having lived there before too in this section north of Ka'anapali, Maui when her boyfriend was a pro golfer and she was 17 years old and moved over there to live with him. I was at the Vets to have our blue merle corgi female get a shot to help with the pain from dysplasia as my wife had a hair appointment and had double booked so she usually would do this.
So, we both have a deep love for the Hawaiian Islands and we both have had very magical experiences there me from 1974 on the Big Island in Hilo, Hawaii to her experienes in the mid 1980s from her age 17 to 20 years old with her pro golfer boyfriend there on Maui.
My first experience living on the Big Island of Hawaii was in 1974 when my son was born. we were fairly newly married then and moved to Hilo Hawaii because she had lived there before when she graduated Berkeley High School around 1969 and moved there with her first full time boyfriend then just the two of them.
So, my return was an amazing experience sort of like going to another planet I had never been to before. I had never experienced anything quite like this ever. The first thing I noticed (because it was August was it was really humid and hot) to the point where I wondered if I could actually live through a place this hot and this humid without air conditioning because most places in Hilo didn't have air conditioning then except the most fancy hotels that we obviously didn't have money to stay in then. So, we rented a house in Hilo and I was visiting with friends who had flown in from Alaska then and we had flown in from San Diego, where we lived then after spending some time in Mt. Shasta which didn't work out because I got heat stroke there planting trees then. So, going to Hawaii was obviously my young wife's idea because she loved it there in the Hilo-Kalapana area. One of the things we got to do was to swim in the volcanic Queens Bath before another volcanic eruption covered it over which was pretty amazing too.
They called it the Queen's Bath because queens of the island before White men came there like Captain Cook swam in this pool as a bathing pool with their courts of people then.
So, it was an amazing experience to swim in this Queen's bath before it was completely covered over by lava after that.
It turns out it got covered over in 1987:
begin quotes:
- Date: March 31, 1987
- Volcano: Kīlauea (Puʻuʻōʻō eruption)
- Location: Kalapana, Puna district, Big Island
- The Site: Formed by a collapsed lava tube fed by natural springs, it was historically reserved strictly for Hawaiian royalty (aliʻi).
No comments:
Post a Comment