Friday, August 14, 2026

I was thinking that Ecoute in French means to listen but Accoutrement I think is a different root word entirely

 So, when I thought it was spelled ecoutrements I thought it might be related to things that make a sound when you drop them? However, I think this is a different likely French word that developed differently than this.

Begin quote regarding Accoutrement or accoutrements 

accoutrement

noun

variants or accouterment
Synonyms of accoutrement
1
a
: equipment, trappings
specifically : a soldier's outfit usually not including clothes and weapons
usually used in plural
b
: an accessory item of clothing or equipment
usually used in plural
Shops offering the physical accoutrements of polite manners—lace, gloves, linen underclothing, snuff, and gentleman's powdered wigs …Arthur Herman
2
: an identifying and often superficial characteristic or device
usually used in plural
… some of the other accouterments of power that define our diplomacy.Elizabeth Drew
3
archaic : the act of accoutring

No comments:

Post a Comment