Intuitive fred888

To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future

Monday, September 21, 2026

Davy Crockett used the phrase "Too big for his britches" when talking about President Andrew Jackson

 
begin quotes from AI Overview
The phrase "too big for one's britches" (or "breeches") first appeared in print in 1835 in An Account of Col. Crockett's Tour to the North and Down East written by American folk hero and politician Davy Crockett. 
Meaning
  • It means someone is acting conceited, arrogant, or full of their own importance. 
  • It suggests a person has grown or puffed themselves up too much for their station, clothes, or role. 
Crockett's Context
  • Crockett used the phrase when talking about President Andrew Jackson. 
  • He wrote: "I myself was one of the first to fire a gun under Andrew Jackson. I helped to give him all his glory. But I liked him well once: but when a man gets too big for his breeches, I say Good bye." 
  • Over time, people shortened or adapted the saying into everyday southern and American vernacular, and a variation ("too big for his boots") later emerged in Britain around the 1860s. 
Would you like to know more about Davy Crockett's political career or the history of other American frontier idioms?
  • Phrase Finder
    Too Big For Your Breeches
    What's the origin of the phrase 'Too big for your breeches'? 'Too big for your breeches', or 'too big for your britches', sounds l...
  • The Tennessean
    Opinion: The danger of getting too big for our breeches
    Davy Crockett understood the danger of getting too big for our breeches | Opinion “Do you know whose chair you are sitting in?” He...

The history behind the phrase 'too big for his britches'


southernthing.com
https://www.southernthing.com › too-big-for-your-britc...
Nov 8, 2025 — So, the next time you hear someone utter that a friend is too big for his britches, think of Davy Crockett. ... Too big for one's britches › ...
People also ask
What was Davy Crockett's most famous quote?
Where does the phrase "too big for your britches" originate from?
What was Davy Crockett's motto?
What does the term "too big for your britches" mean?

Too Big For Your Breeches - Meaning & Origin Of The Phrase


Phrase Finder
https://www.phrases.org.uk › Meanings
The meaning of the phrase Conceited; having a too high opinion of oneself. 1835, written by Davy Crockett.
Missing: one's ‎| Show results with: one's

Origin of 'too big for his britches' phrase


Facebook · You know You're From Marion, NC
3 comments · 5 years ago
I helped to give him all his glory. But I liked him well once: but when a man gets too big for his breeches, I say Good bye." (Notice the ...
Appalachian phrase 'too big for your britches' - Facebook
Sep 1, 2020
And this is what happens when you get too big for your britches
Jul 1, 2026
More results from www.facebook.com
intuitivefred888 at 11:29 PM
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

‹
›
Home
View web version

About Me

intuitivefred888
I live in Coastal Northern California at present but was raised mostly in Los Angeles and San Diego Counties. I have also lived in Seattle, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Maui and the big Island of Hawaii. My archive site is: dragonofcompassion.com
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.