Thursday, August 13, 2026

how to just not be another death statistic in a Tesla while doing Automatic Pilot or whatever they call their automatic driving system now

 

  • A Tragic Loss | Tesla Motors 
  • As you can read above this was an early death using I believe Autopilot in Florida where a man was watching Harry Potter on the TV screen in the center console of a Tesla Model S while his car drove him under a Semi Trailer on a Truck crossing the highway the Tesla was automatically driving on.

    This is why even if your automatically driving your car you don't just set it and go to sleep like some people do (at least yet) because mostly the technology is not there yet (that I know of).

    In other words your Tesla is NOT a Waymo Taxi (at least yet where you MIGHT literally go to sleep on the thing and survive it. (MAYBE)

    So, unless you feel comfortable interfacing with the automatic Driving capabilities of your car you probably shouldn't do it.

    Even though I feel Comfortable doing this my wife doesn't like doing this too. She doesn't even like Cruise Control with automatic Braking which I love a lot that I often use even if I'm not using automatic steering control too on my All Wheel Drive Car.

    Which means that in my family of 2 parents and 4 children the only ones I know of who are interested in automatic driving are my oldest daughter and myself. But then we are very mechanical and techie and intuitive so we are safe doing this. But, most people aren't good at this and so they shouldn't try doing this unless they really feel interfaced technologically with their vehicle. 

    This is what I think.

    And many people are not hand eye coordinated to be good at automatic driving either.

    So, for example, how I think of my car's automatic Driving is this:

    "I think of it as a 5 year old on my lap steering my car. No more than this. So, if I'm not supervising this 5 year old steering my car we won't be alive anymore."

    If you think of it another way you might not survive your Automatic Driving and steering capabilities no matter what you are driving.

    AT LEAST FOR NOW.

    That is until they make cars optionally like Waymos likely just for city driving where they might be safer than in the country to have a Waymo option on your car.

    Already I find the best thing about automatic driving for me is in heavy traffic jams on freeways where the car drives completely in stop and go traffic and brakes and everything. And all I have to do is if the car stops for more than about 20 or 30 seconds I just touch one button and it resumes driving by itself again.

    So, automatic driving I find to be heaven for heavy traffic jams. It's the best. When the jam ends you are rested usually and not freaked out from being stuck in traffic so much. It's the best. 

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment