Intuitive fred888

To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future

Sunday, August 30, 2026

The worst cactus to deal with in Southern California are Cholla Cactuses

I still likely have pieces of one or more of these cactus barbs in one of my legs and possible a foot somewhere because they are barbed like a porcupine quill and they break easy and so they don't come out sometimes ever.

So, a cholla cactus barb is likely going to leave pieces of itself in your legs or feet or wherever you get them potentially the rest of your life. Here are some pictures of cholla cactus prounouced "choi ya" because I think it is Spanish.

My father loved the deserts of California especially places like Borrego Desert which we started visiting when I was 4 years old when we first moved from Seattle to san diego. But later when I was 12 his best friend owned 2 1/2 acres between Yucca Valley and Landers so we used to fly out there in his friend's plane and I got to fly the plane sometimes (in the air) flying back from Yucca Valley airport then when I was about 10 years old I think. I didn't take off of course just flew it after taking off back towards Los Angeles County from Yucca Valley airport.

Then I started riding my small mini-bike which is made by Bird called the wren which was metallic blue with a 2 1/2 housepower Tecumseh engine with a centrifugal Clutch and not much of a brake. Sort of like a Go kart on two wheels maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet high at the handlebars. but it could go 30 miles per hour if I got it going with the Centrifugal Clutch first. then I bought a 1960 Matchless 600 hillclimber set up for hill climbing with a huge rear sprocket with a top speed of only 30 to 40 miles and hour because of the gear ratio for hill climbing. I had to start it in 2nd gear on the level or it would raise up and dump me on my butt it was geared so low. But, it was an off road vehicle not street licensed. Then later I traded it for a BSA 500 used in North AFrica in World war II. that thing was a tank that had no battery and even the head light worked on the magneto in the engine so kick or bump starting was a must. However, I sometimes didn't ride it for 1 year or two when I lived in mt. shasta in my 30s and it still started up right away. Amazing motorcyle that started no matter what but without good suspension so you had to protect yourself from breaking your spine going over a rock by standing up on your foot pegs so you didn't destroy your back. So, not entirely safe when going off road unless you really knew what you were doing. But, the put the handlebars so you could easily stand up to protect your back too from breaking.

Here are some pictures from Google images regarding Cholla Cactuses found in California Nevada, Arizona and I think New Mexico and possibly Texas too.

begin quotes from Google images: 

 

 Saves
EXTREME Cactus Attack!
Video
EXTREME Cactus Attack!
YouTube
Sneaky Jumping Cholla. Cactus Attack! - YouTube
Sneaky Jumping Cholla. Cactus Attack! - YouTube
YouTube
When the cholla cactus attacks - YouTube
When the cholla cactus attacks - YouTube
YouTube
Fan attacked by jumping cactus as Rory McIlroy hits out of desert at Accenture
Video
Fan attacked by jumping cactus as Rory McIlroy hits out of desert at Accenture
YouTube
JUMPING CACTI!! Have you ever seen these? And what would you do?
JUMPING CACTI!! Have you ever seen these? And what would you do?
Facebook
Mark Vins | A cactus maze... who thought this was a good idea? Watch how I remove these cholla spines properly—painful, but effective. #cactus🌵... | Instagram
5 days ago
Mark Vins | A cactus maze... who thought this was a good idea? Watch how I remove these cholla spines properly—painful, but effective. #cactus🌵... | Instagram
Instagram
The Attack of The Jumping Cactus! — The Get Up Mama
The Attack of The Jumping Cactus! — The Get Up Mama
The Get Up Mama
Removing jumping cholla cactus with large comb #cactus #diy #lifehacks
Video
Removing jumping cholla cactus with large comb #cactus #diy #lifehacks
Instagram
PHOENIX: Most Dangerous Cactus in Arizona Desert: Jumping Cholla Cactus - The Extreme case
Video
PHOENIX: Most Dangerous Cactus in Arizona Desert: Jumping Cholla Cactus - The Extreme case
YouTube
Jumping cholla cactus defense mechanism
Jumping cholla cactus defense mechanism
Facebook
The most PAINFUL thorns in the desert!!! I got several stick in my hand and it seemed like every needle not only pierced my skin but also deployed "something" to stay stuck,
The most PAINFUL thorns in the desert!!! I got several stick in my hand and it seemed like every needle not only pierced my skin but also deployed "something" to stay stuck,
Reddit
Attacked by Chollas Cactus! - YouTube
Attacked by Chollas Cactus! - YouTube
YouTube
The Attack of The Jumping Cactus! — The Get Up Mama
The Attack of The Jumping Cactus! — The Get Up Mama
The Get Up Mama
I’ve dealt with some brutal desert hazards, but cholla cactus might be the most painful! #painful #cactus #cholla #bravewilderness #desert
Video
I’ve dealt with some brutal desert hazards, but cholla cactus might be the most painful! #painful #cactus #cholla #bravewilderness #desert
Instagram
Guy falls into cactus after being hit by PGA Tour Golfer Rory McIlroy : r/videos
Guy falls into cactus after being hit by PGA Tour Golfer Rory McIlroy : r/videos
Reddit
When Light Changes Everything The cholla cactus—often called the “jumping cactus”—doesn't actually leap, but its barbed segments latch onto anything that wanders too close. (I know firsthand… those spines do not let
When Light Changes Everything The cholla cactus—often called the “jumping cactus”—doesn't actually leap, but its barbed segments latch onto anything that wanders too close. (I know firsthand… those spines do not let
Instagram
A cactus maze... who thought this was a good idea? , Watch how I remove these cholla spines properly—painful, but effective., #cactus🌵 #arizona #nature #howto #desertlife
Video
A cactus maze... who thought this was a good idea? , Watch how I remove these cholla spines properly—painful, but effective., #cactus🌵 #arizona #nature #howto #desertlife
Instagram
Teddy bear cholla attack experience
Teddy bear cholla attack experience
Facebook
The Cholla cactus may be the plant I fear the most. We have learned the hard way that these cactus are able to "jump", but thankfully this trip we kept enough distance
The Cholla cactus may be the plant I fear the most. We have learned the hard way that these cactus are able to "jump", but thankfully this trip we kept enough distance
Instagram
Woman injured by jumping cactus in desert
Woman injured by jumping cactus in desert
Facebook
See the Sneaky Cholla That Bit Me and More
See the Sneaky Cholla That Bit Me and More
Debra Lee Baldwin
That view tho! 🤩 🌵 This is a cholla cactus, AKA “jumping cholla.” Its barbed spines attach so easily to passing skin/fur/clothing it's like they actually JUMP out at you. And they
That view tho! 🤩 🌵 This is a cholla cactus, AKA “jumping cholla.” Its barbed spines attach so easily to passing skin/fur/clothing it's like they actually JUMP out at you. And they
Instagram
In case you got a cholla cactus stuck on you, here is what you gonna da
Video
In case you got a cholla cactus stuck on you, here is what you gonna da
Reddit
The most DANGEROUS plant in the desert
Video
The most DANGEROUS plant in the desert
Reddit
The Twist: A prickly surprise – Coppell Student Media
The Twist: A prickly surprise – Coppell Student Media
Coppell Student Media
In this video, I drive over 300 miles into the California desert to show you exactly why the jumping cholla cactus is so dangerous. The jumping cactus (also known as cholla cactus, pronounced ...
Video
In this video, I drive over 300 miles into the California desert to show you exactly why the jumping cholla cactus is so dangerous. The jumping cactus (also known as cholla cactus, pronounced ...
TikTok
Dangers of jumping cholla cactus in Tucson, Arizona
Dangers of jumping cholla cactus in Tucson, Arizona
Facebook
Ouch! Jumping Cactus Attack!
Video
Ouch! Jumping Cactus Attack!
YouTube
Jumping Cholla Cactus stock photo - Minden Pictures
Licensable
Jumping Cholla Cactus stock photo - Minden Pictures
Minden Pictures
Why Does This Cactus ATTACK People? The "JUMPING Cholla"?
Video
Why Does This Cactus ATTACK People? The "JUMPING Cholla"?
YouTube
The Cholla cactus may be the plant I fear the most. We have learned the hard way that these cactus are able to "jump", but thankfully this trip we kept enough distance
The Cholla cactus may be the plant I fear the most. We have learned the hard way that these cactus are able to "jump", but thankfully this trip we kept enough distance
Instagram
Could be better could be worse
Video
Could be better could be worse
Reddit
Ouch!! #cactus #attack 🌵 | TikTok
Video
Ouch!! #cactus #attack 🌵 | TikTok
TikTok
POTTER: Surviving nightmarish Cholla cactus - East Idaho News
POTTER: Surviving nightmarish Cholla cactus - East Idaho News
East Idaho News
Joshua Tree's Most Dangerous Hike - Swept Away Today
Joshua Tree's Most Dangerous Hike - Swept Away Today
Swept Away Today
These little cholla cactuses make for great images but damn they can suck to be around. Who's had to dig them out of their skin?
These little cholla cactuses make for great images but damn they can suck to be around. Who's had to dig them out of their skin?
Instagram
How bad can a jumping cholla or cactus can hurt you?
How bad can a jumping cholla or cactus can hurt you?
Facebook
Cactus Crash! (Removing jumping cholla) - YouTube
Cactus Crash! (Removing jumping cholla) - YouTube
YouTube
Hiking Adventures in Arizona: Cactus Encounters
Video
Hiking Adventures in Arizona: Cactus Encounters
TikTok
Cholla Cactus Garden Photo | Richard Wong Photography
Cholla Cactus Garden Photo | Richard Wong Photography
Richard Wong Photography
Cholla cactus attacks
Video
Cholla cactus attacks
YouTube
A woman shows the arm where spines of a jumping cholla cactus have painfully pierced her skin while hiking in the desert near Tucson, Arizona, USA Stock Photo - Alamy
Licensable
A woman shows the arm where spines of a jumping cholla cactus have painfully pierced her skin while hiking in the desert near Tucson, Arizona, USA Stock Photo - Alamy
Alamy
Admire the jumping cholla cactus, but beware of its tricks
Admire the jumping cholla cactus, but beware of its tricks
Arizona Daily Star
Mark Vins | I've dealt with some brutal desert hazards, but cholla cactus might be the most painful! #painful #cactus #cholla #bravewilderness #desert | Instagram
3 days ago
Mark Vins | I've dealt with some brutal desert hazards, but cholla cactus might be the most painful! #painful #cactus #cholla #bravewilderness #desert | Instagram
Instagram

 

intuitivefred888 at 1:47 PM
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

‹
›
Home
View web version

About Me

intuitivefred888
I live in Coastal Northern California at present but was raised mostly in Los Angeles and San Diego Counties. I have also lived in Seattle, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Maui and the big Island of Hawaii. My archive site is: dragonofcompassion.com
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.