To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future
Friday, September 11, 2026
I was thinking about the Mithras Book Store which was in La Jolla in the 1970s
The Mithras Bookstore was likely the coolest mystical Type book store I have ever been to. I can't remember who took me there first but I saw the "Woodstock" film they made which was a documentary of all the groups who played and what the scene was like there because I'm a California boy and didn't make it to Woodstock because that was an East Coast thing in 1969 I believe it happened.
I saw "Woodstock Documentary" likely around 1970 or whenever they compiled all the footage of Groups playing at that amazing Concert I think in Upper New York State(not familiar with the cities or geography of New York sTate because I'm in California).
This was shown at the Unicorn Theater which was adjoined to this really cool Bookstore in La Jolla too then.
The Mithras Bookstore
(often spelled Mithras or Mithras Books) was a famous counterculture
hub in La Jolla, California, during the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s.
Key Details
Location: Corner of Pearl Street and La Jolla Boulevard (7456 La Jolla Boulevard).
Founders & Owners: Harold and Sandra Darling, alongside Harold Leigh and Elizabeth Rattisseau.
Vibe & Atmosphere:
It offered an otherworldly, bohemian escape filled with esoteric books,
incense, baroque or classical music, Andean music, free popcorn, and a
famous collaged floor made of words and images.
The Unicorn Cinema: The bookstore sat right next to (or connected to) the tiny, cinderblock Unicorn Theatre / Unicorn Cinema,
an art-house film space that screened rare, foreign, silent, and
avant-garde films (including the American premiere of Andrei Tarkovsky’s
Solaris).
Green Tiger Press:
The founders also operated Green Tiger Press from this creative
ecosystem, which published and revived rare, vintage children's
illustrations and art books.
Closure: The Unicorn Cinema closed on March 21, 1982, and Mithras Books closed the very next day on March 22, 1982.
Would you like to know more about the Unicorn Cinema's film history, the Green Tiger Press publications, or how the La Jolla Historical Society has archived their legacy?
Bookology Magazine
Green Tiger Press, Part One - Bookology Magazine
May 20, 2024 — Green
Tiger Press brought pre-1940 forgotten children's illustrations like
Smith's out of the attic and into the form of cards, po...
Facebook
Do you remember Mithras Bookstore, Unicorn Cinema ...
From
the mid 1960s to the early 1980s the Mithras Bookstore (at the Sign of
the Sun), the Unicorn Theatre aka Unicorn Cinema and G...
San Diego Union-Tribune
This used to be WHAT? These architectural reuses in La Jolla ...
Dec 4, 2019 — With
fewer than 100 seats, the Unicorn screened films that couldn't be seen
anywhere else in San Diego: avant-garde, foreign, sile...
From the mid 1960s to the early 1980s the Mithras Bookstore (at the Sign of the Sun), the Unicorn Theatre aka Unicorn Cinema and Green Tiger Press created a ...
No comments:
Post a Comment