However, this statement Caught my attention that I had heard many times before but somehow today it sunk in an resonated with me like never before" for some reason.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.'"
I think the world just wasn't bad enough before when this movie was made for me to fully get what this statement actually meant. It sort of sailed over the top of my head because I was always sort of traumatized by this movie.
It was the first movie my now wife and I went out to see together while we were just starting to date then. I remember that she kept hiding her head in my shoulder because she couldn't handle these scenes. Whereas I told her that these reminded me of Grownup criminals of the version I had been counseling for a while who were 12 to 17 years old and had committed 7 felonies without a gun. If they had used a gun they likely would have gone to the California Youth Authority and mostly those guys lives are basically over if they ever have to go there it seemed at the time at least.
So, this was 1994 when we saw this movie and I was having problems with a level of PTSD from counseling kids who had committed 7 felonies each without using a gun myself at the time.
MY wife to be said, "Why are you doing this kind of work?" and at the time I was going through a really awful divorce and was a little self destructive to be doing work like this. So, I realized I should be with her and not do this kind of work anymore because it wasn't helping me in my life and I had already done what I could for the boys I had counseled in San Jose and I needed to marry this lady and move on with my life which is what i actually did.
However, this statement by Jules (Samuel Jackson) is one of the most iconic statements of all time sort of like the Dirty Harry STatement of "A man's got to know his limitations" as he blows away some guy because he overestimated what he could do to Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry.
Here is Jules statement once again:
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.'"
What this statement says to me is my own experience in life being set upon from babyhood to childhood by people selfish or just plain crazy in the 1950s (mostly from World war II and the Great Depression).
Then I was trained to be a mystical Christian minister and to be kind and charitable to all people (especially those in my own church).
"Walking through the Valley of Darkness" is trying to survive here anyway you can without destroying your own life or someone else's.
Being your Brother's keeper was something I always tried to do because of my parents being in charge of a church as the head ministers there from the time I was 6 to 12 years old.
Meeting Archangel Michael at age 2 taught me this one: "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers."
This is Archangel Michael who is God's policeman that I know very well since I was two and he came and saved me from dying of whooping cough at age 2.
"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you"
MY experience of God was that between age 10 and 15 I was having concussion caused seizures at night often and from my point of view this was God training me in a human body on earth to be an Angel here on earth in a human body because he couldn't have the powers he invested in me be misused and made sure I knew I would die if I misused what God had given to me to help mankind.
So, to me today this whole statement rang true in a way I never expected before just watching the last 1/2 hour or so of "Pulp Fiction(1994)
So, I'm pretty amazed how "The Lord Moves in Mysterious Ways!"
By God's Grace
No comments:
Post a Comment