Saturday, January 21, 2012

It is inevitable that Piracy Increase even if SOPA and PIPA passed

You might ask: Why?
The reason is remarkably simple: First of all most people have no money to buy music and entertainment. So, what is going to happen (even if the internet shuts down) is that young people and people out of work worldwide are going to get a legal copy of music or Video of a movie or TV etc. and make multiple copies of this work and give it (or sell it) to friends worldwide. No one can afford the entertainment worldwide, so this will naturally continue. You would have to destroy all CD and DVD copying technology worldwide to stop all piracy. So even if the Internet suddenly ended Billions of pirated copies of literally everything will continue throughout this century worldwide.

So, I think more what the Hollywood companies are talking about is hoping that people at least in the U.S. and Europe pay for content more.

When I was young and didn't have much money a whole lot of thought was given to how one could be entertained without going bankrupt. However, now I can afford what I want more I make it a point to pay for whatever it is. For example, many people will go into California State parks and not pay the fees there because since often no rangers are there one can often do this with impunity. However, I at this point in my life always pay because it helps support the continued existence of the State Parks now and have for at least the last 20 or 30 years. I also make it a point to pay for everything I watch or listen to because I want these venues to continue making things I want to see and listen to. I know as a consumer of entertainment that if SOMEONE doesn't pay for it that it won't be there for ANYONE. So, I make it a point now that I can afford it to pay my fair share so I and all the others have something worth watching and listening to on into the foreseeable future.

So, I think the real question here is different than most people think. The real question is: Will a Free Internet exist 10 years from now? And I think the only correct answer is Maybe. There might be an Internet that reminds everyone of the one in China. But will people support that kind of Internet? I think the answer might be "No!". I think if Freedom of Expression is lost on the Internet it will no longer be cool and the next generation will shun it for something else. And that will look a lot like sites that once were there and now are gone. Only this time it might be the whole Internet that is gone.

No comments: