begin quotes:
Official says mosque shooting suspects ‘didn’t discriminate on who they hated’
To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future
begin quotes:
begin quote:

Massie ended his concession speech on a forward-looking note, saying, “We’re just getting started.”
NBC News projects that incumbent Sarah Warren, who was first appointed by a Republican governor, has won re-election to the Georgia Supreme Court, beating Democratic-backed Jen Jordan.
Janelle Stelson wins the Democratic primary for Pennsylvania's 10th Congressional District, NBC News projects.
The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in central Africa rose sharply Tuesday, with the head of the World Health Organization expressing concern over the “scale and speed of the epidemic.”
At least 131 people are believed to have died and 531 suspected to have been infected, according to the Congolese Health Ministry. An American missionary was among those who tested positive for the deadly disease.
Global health experts are worried about the capacity of this outbreak to cause widespread illness and death in central Africa — not least because this rare strain of Ebola, the Bundibugyo virus, has no approved vaccine or treatment and a shortage of available tests.
The outbreak was also undetected for weeks, adding to the complexities in containing it. It has ripped through a region riven by civil war and conflict, while health officials said funding shortages were further hampering their ability to fight Ebola.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said early Tuesday that he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”
The State Department said that was “strongly” urging Americans not to travel to Congo, South Sudan or Uganda “for any reason.”
The State Department also said in a statement on Tuesday that the U.S. is going to fund up to 50 Ebola response clinics.
“The United States is committing to rapidly supporting the Ebola outbreak response by funding up to 50 treatment clinics, and associated frontline costs being established in Ebola-affected regions of the DRC and Uganda” the State Department said.
“This U.S. funding commitment will accelerate the delivery of frontline medical care, life-saving humanitarian assistance, and critical outbreak response capabilities to communities at greatest risk,” it added.
Most cases have been in towns at the heart of the region’s gold-mining industry, which necessitates cross-border travel. But they have also been reported as far away as the rebel-held city of Goma, 230 miles from the outbreak’s epicenter in the eastern Ituri province, as well as in neighboring Uganda.
The number of suspected cases has risen dramatically from the 300 believed infected and 88 killed as of Monday.
There have been only a couple of previous Bundibugyo outbreaks — one in Uganda in 2007 and one in Congo in 2012. The fatality rate during those incidents ranged from 30% to 50%, according to the WHO.

The WHO’s emergency committee is set to convene later Tuesday to discuss the outbreak.
The United Nations’ health agency said six tons of supplies were set to arrive in Congo on Tuesday, including personal protective equipment and other medical supplies.
President Donald Trump said that he too was “concerned” about the situation, noting that the outbreak was so far confined to central Africa. Health experts say the likelihood of Ebola spreading in wealthy countries is very low because it spreads through bodily fluids rather than in the air.
On Tuesday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health advisory for doctors about the outbreak, recommending that any patients who may have been exposed to the virus and have symptoms of Ebola be hospitalized in isolation and tested.
Among those infected is a U.S. citizen who has tested positive and been flown to Germany, Tedros told the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneva.
Germany was doing so at the request of the U.S. government, a German Health Ministry spokesperson told NBC News. The country has “a nationwide network of experts for the management and care of patients with diseases caused by highly pathogenic agents,” the spokesperson said.
An American missionary named Dr. Peter Stafford has tested positive for the virus, according to the international missionary organization Serge. He was exposed while treating patients in Nyankunde Hospital in the northeastern corner of Congo, where he has worked since 2023, Serge said.
He got tested after presenting with symptoms of the virus, which includes fever, muscle fatigue, diarrhea and vomiting.
Two other physicians working in the region, including his wife, Dr. Rebekah Stafford, and another man, Dr. Patrick LaRochelle, remain asymptomatic but were keeping to strict quarantine protocols, Serge said.
It was not clear from the missionary group’s statement whether Stafford was the same American being airlifted to Germany.
Trump left the WHO in January, citing what he said was its poor management of the Covid pandemic.
Health officials and experts have said this, along with Trump’s slashing of bodies such as the now-dismantled U.S. Agency for International Development, or USAID, could hamper the response to the current outbreak and others like it in the future.
“Under USAID, the U.S. had people directly involved in the emergency operations center in DRC, people that would be aware of what the laboratory capacity was, and when there were gaps and things weren’t running well, that we were troubleshooting that with the government,” a former USAID official said. “That capacity is gone.”
Amid a global cost-of-living crisis, other Western governments have also cut their aid programs.
Anne Ancia, the WHO’s representative in Congo, said Tuesday her organization had been working “very well” with the U.S. government on the Ebola outbreak but that reductions in health funding have had a “tremendous impact” on its ability to counter the disease.
The State Department said it was “false to claim that the USAID reform has negatively impacted our ability to respond to Ebola.”
“In fact, by bringing USAID global health functions under the new GHSD bureau at the State Department, our efforts are more aligned and effective,” a spokesman said, referring to the Bureau of Global Health Security and Diplomacy. “Funding and support to combat Ebola continue, working with allies and partners, with additional announcements forthcoming.”

Abigail Williams is a producer and reporter for NBC News covering the State Department.
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A brush fire dubbed the Sandy Fire broke out in Simi Valley on Monday.
AIR7 spotted at least one property damaged by flames.
The blaze spread quickly in the 600 block of Sandy Avenue, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.
-----------
Este blog se ofrece en Español, aquÃ.

The Sandy Fire in Simi Valley triggered evacuation orders and warnings for several zones in Ventura and Los Angeles counties.
Details on Evacuation orders and warnings here.
The following zones are under an evacuation order:
The following zones are under an evacuation warning:
Los Angeles County:
Meanwhile, a temporary evacuation point is open at the Rancho Santa Susana Community Park, located at 5005 Los Angeles Avenue. A large animal shelter is open at Ventura County Fairgrounds, located at 10 E Harbor Blvd.

Fire crews continued monitoring hotspots Tuesday morning in Simi Valley - and progress is being made.

As the sun rose, Los Angeles County fire crews kept a close watch on smoldering areas beneath the charred remains of a home on Trickling Brook Court.
"The poor guy was standing out in front watching his house burn down," Simi Valley resident Ron Wechsler told Eyewitness News.
"You couldn't stand here like we're standing here," he added. "The wind would blow you right off your feet. By the time we saw the fire, the fire was already on this hillside over here."
More than 750 firefighters from local and state agencies are working to contain the fire, battling it from both the ground and the air.
"We had water-dropping helicopters with night vision capabilities overnight and we will continue to utilize those assets," said Andrew Dowd, a public information officer with Ventura County Fire.
Firefighters took advantage of improved weather conditions to strengthen containment lines and target active areas of the fire. However, officials cautioned that conditions remain unpredictable.
"This is a dynamic fire. We are expecting changes in the weather. We want to be prepared for it," Dowd said.
The fire has destroyed one home in the community, and residents remain on high alert as crews continue working.

Firefighters worked through the night to get control over the Sandy Fire burning in Simi Valley, and it is now 5% contained.
It has burned nearly 1,4000 acres. Crews have made progress against the flames, but sweeping evacuation orders and warnings remain in effect.

More winds are expected across the region Tuesday as the Sandy Fire continues to smolder in the Simi Valley area, keeping elevated fire danger in the mix.
The light Santa Ana winds out of the northeast will stick around for the next few hours, with gusts up to 20 mph possible. They are expected to shift in direction later this afternoon but temperatures will be warming up.
Here's the latest forecast for the area as the firefight continues.


The fire calmed down overnight, but conditions could change as winds are expected to pick up Tuesday morning.
Overnight, firefighters target hot spots with water drops as they to build containment lines. Calmer winds and increased humidity levels has dampened the fire activity, but crews are still monitoring shifting winds.
Meanwhile, smoke from the smoldering fire is raising air quality concerns. The South Coast Air Quality Management District says the air quality may reach unhealthy levels in places like Calabasas, Pacific Palisades and Malibu.


The wind-fueled Sandy Fire in Simi Valley has burned 1,386 acres, making it the third largest wildfire in California so far this season.
It follows only the Santa Rosa Island and River fires in San Barbara and Kern counties. The destructive blaze adds to a grim statewide total.

Across California this year, crews have already battled more than 1,400 wildfires that have scorched over 32,000 acres and destroyed seven structures.
The Sandy Fire remains 0% contained.

All Simi Valley Unified School District schools will be closed to students on Tuesday due to the fire, the district said. The closure includes after-school programs and activities.
Only key leadership staff will be contacted to work for varied assignments.
The district said it will evaluate the fire's status Tuesday afternoon and decide if the school can reopen Wednesday.

Residents in the San Fernando Valley are seeing smoke on Monday night as crews continue to battle the Sandy Fire burning in Simi Valley.
While the fire is burning in Ventura County, evacuation warnings have been issued for portions of West Hills and Chatsworth as the wind drives the flames and smoke toward the valley.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass issued a statement saying, "At this time, we do not expect the wildfire to reach the City of Los Angeles."
"Out of an abundance of caution, LAFD has prepositioned resources in the San Fernando Valley and an Evacuation Warning has been issued for portions of West Hills and Chatsworth. Under an Evacuation Warning, residents are not required to leave immediately but are encouraged to be alert and be prepared to evacuate if conditions worsen and an Evacuation Order is issued," the statement continued. "Residents in the San Fernando Valley may experience smoke this evening as it is carried in from the Sandy Fire."

The Sandy Fire has grown to more than 1,300 acres as evacuation orders and warnings have expanded.
Impacted residents can find more details on Cal Fire's website.
The following zones are under an evacuation order:
The following zones are under an evacuation warning:
Los Angeles County:


AIR7 video shows an aerial view of the one property destroyed by the Sandy Fire in Simi Valley on Monday.
The house that was destroyed is at the top of the cul-de-sac. Neighbors told Eyewitness News they began to notice something was wrong around 10 a.m. They said the wind was so strong, it could push you over.
The fire came up the hillside, destroying the first house at the top of the cul-de-sac on Trickling Brook Court.
Firefighters were able to contain the flames to one structure.
Still, the blaze rages on as winds change directions. Thousands of residents in Ventura and Los Angeles counties are under evacuation warnings and orders.


At least one home has burned and thousands of people are under evacuation orders and warnings as the Sandy Fire burns in Simi Valley.
When the Sandy Fire began to rip through the Simi Valley brush and headed toward homes, many residents headed to their garden hoses.
"The fire's in back of us. It's coming down the hill, and it's going to come back up. There's a couple firefighters up on the hill with some big hoses, should we get flare-up, so we're hoping to keep the flames from coming up the mountain," said Brent Richter.
Unfortunately, one home fell victim to the fire. Firefighters were unable to save the house on Trickling Brook Court.
Neighbors say the fast-moving flames snuck up on them.
"I was inside cleaning the house, and I opened the slider to take trash outside, and ashes and... it just came very fast. It's faster than usual," another neighbor told Eyewitness News.
Thousands of residents are under evacuation orders, but not everyone is willing to leave.
The part of Simi Valley impacted is a big equestrian community, with stables in most backyards.
Alex Hoffmaster sped home from work to evacuate his two horses but decided to stick around to keep an eye on the fire.
"This was an evacuation area, but I felt safe enough to stay. I just wanted to kind of see how bad it was and protect the house at all costs, then evacuate at the last possible minute," Hoffmaster said.
Firefighters say the direction of the wind has changed, and that's good for the homes on Rocking Horse Drive. By 6 p.m., the wind was blowing toward the San Fernando Valley.

Evacuation orders and warnings for the Sandy Fire have been expanded as crews continue to battle the fast-moving blaze in Simi Valley.
Parts of Los Angeles County are now included in the evacuation warning zones.
Impacted residents can find more details on Cal Fire's website.
The following zones are under an evacuation order:
The following zones are under an evacuation warning:
Los Angeles County:

The Sandy Fire burning in Simi Valley has expanded to 836 acres and is 0% contained, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.
Fire officials noted that the winds have shifted 180 degrees.

The brush fire is threatening structures, with evacuation warnings and orders in place for nearby residents.
Approximately 550 firefighters are at the scene, the department said.

A small fire ignited in the Angeles National Forest on Monday, triggering an evacuation warning near the Burro Peak area.
The blaze charred approximately 30 acres with 0% containment.
Cal Fire officials said the fire is burning at a moderate rate of speed.

The Sandy Fire in Simi Valley increased to 720 acres Monday afternoon.
The Ventura County Fire Department said the fire is still threatening structures, and evacuation orders and warnings remain in place.
Approximately 500 firefighters are assigned to battle the blaze, and firefighting aircraft are continuing to douse flames with retardant and water to support crews on the ground.
