Sunday, August 2, 2009

Who Am I? 8-2-09

I often tell young people including my own children that I am still pretty much the same person that I was at age 10 only with more experience and more armor.

This usefully describes my experience of presently being 61 years old, (kind,wise and deadly).

A very cynical view of this would be: (youth, truth and beauty are overcome by old age, deceit and death).

However, I prefer not to be cynical as cynics are usually children that can't cope with adulthood so they just put everything down.

However, those who actually are or who are capable of actually being real adults accept the responsibilities of adulthood like soldiers do knowing full well they could die in the process. However, at exactly the same time they fully understand the adage, "And you can survive to 105 if you're young at heart". So, in the end it is about kindness, responsibility and staying young at heart. And yes, it is a whole lot to ask of anyone. But without this balance life isn't worth anything at all.

So, how did I get to become who I am? Strangely enough I had to almost die for about a year when I was 2 and then almost die for another 5 years between the ages of 10 and 15. These two events shaped my young life and left me a much more serious person than my peers. So, it could be said that I was sort of grown up by 4 and didn't really start again to be childlike again until I was 21 and it was 1969 and I started meeting alternative people in 1969. So, these kinds of events shaped who I became along with having parents that were mystical Christians that believed in Jesus, reincarnation, UFOs, science, thinking one's own thoughts and debating issues to come up with the best solutions through rational thinking. I remember my father teaching me to debate him starting at age 8. He didn't care what my position was. He just wanted me to be rational about what I was debating him about. He was training me to be a free thinker and an experimental thinker. He felt that people who could think rationally and scientifically were unstoppable. My father was extremely intelligent and about 50 years ahead of his time. So, in some ways he set the stage for me also to be about 50 years ahead of my time.

No comments: