Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Learning to Generate Compassion

It is important to remember that Generating compassion is always a choice. That's where it starts when you decided not to cause harm to another being and not to cause harm to yourself. It begins here. When your ethics bring you to this place, the next step is learning right mindful compassion. Because there is idiot compassion where you do things to help people that inevitably might get your or them killed because you haven't thought it through enough. Many people aren't really adults and might never be no matter what their chronological age is. So, by you becoming an adult in how you think and feel you set the criteria of what is happening in your life and around you.

One of the things that starts to happen is you might lock your car and not leave the keys in it out of compassion for others who have a lot of trouble not stealing things. By locking your car and not leaving the keys there maybe you will keep people out of jail who might otherwise steal your car. So, Right mindful compassion is about protecting people from themselves and protecting people from gaining negative karma against you. In this way and thousands of other ways you can practice Right mindful compassion.

Because once you become a generator of compassion you become in some ways like a fountain of helpfulness and goodness. When I met my present wife I was surprised just what a Goody 2 shoes she was with 3 college degrees but how she helped everyone in such amazing ways all the time. I had had to become much more ruthless in my life than she had because I started out in life lower middle class and was finally full on middle class by High School because my father's business was successful. So, for example, I had two different older boys at different times put a knife to my throat and tell me they were going to kill me by slitting my throat. You might think this is horrific and it was.

But, for me, looking back it was one of the best things that ever happened to me because it taught me never to trust anyone completely. So, when I came to a compassionate stance as a spiritual being it was built upon sort of an Archangel Michael kind of point of view which is "Speak softly but carry a big stick (or big flaming sword supernaturally).

So, when I met my wife I realized that God had sent me to protect her so she could help everyone even more than she was already. And I was right. So, as I learned to generate compassion starting at about 30 to 32 when I learned about Tibetan Lamas and Non-dualism I found compassion to be the most powerful path for me. I really see my choosing a path of compassion as the beginning of amazingly good karma for me ever since. And you might too.

By 1983 I took Ahimsa vows which is a vow not to kill anything except in self defense. I have tried to honor this ever since. In 1985 I worked 6 months a year as a fire lookout on top of a mountain in a 40 to 50 foot high lookout owned by the State of California. It had window all around and because of all the cattle ranches and wild boar and deer there were often flies in the summer that came inside the lookout. My alternate lookout taught me to use a plastic cup to catch the flies, and bees and hornets and yellow jackets against the glass and then put a piece of paper against the glass by sliding it along the glass and then walking the insect out and releasing it.

The first really great thing about doing this is I didn't have to wash the splatted insect stuff off the glass. The second good thing about it was I didn't have to experience the astral insect getting big as a ghost and biting me astrally. The third really great thing about this was I didn't have the karma of killing these beings. And this last one is really big I have found over the years. So, if you want your karma to be much better stop killing anything except in self defense. It will greatly change your life for the better.

The one I'm really have trouble with now is gophers. But, God likely will show me how to deal with this too. Rats I can take out in self defense if they come into my attic or under my house but gophers are kind of cute things except they kill your plants and undermine the foundations to your home. Practicing Ahimsa (not killing anything) isn't always easy so practicality is important. A lot of the time our Corgi Dog likes to dig them up and brings them to me already dead. Being compassionate isn't easy but it is necessary if you want to become enlightened fully. Some People are really hard to be compassionate too. And then most people have the hardest time being compassionate and understanding to themselves. If you have no compassion for yourself your compassion for others is not genuine. So, start with yourself and work out from there for best results.

Ahimsa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahimsa
Ahimsa (Sanskrit: अहिंसा; IAST: ahiṃsā, Pāli: avihiṃsā) is a term meaning to do no harm (literally: the avoidance of violence – hiṃsā). The word is derived ...
JainismBuddhismHinduismSee also

Note: Where I live on the Northern California Coast there are large coastal forests of Pine, Oak and Redwood with Ferns. There are also a lot of wild animals like Deer (hundreds of deer) because hunting is not permitted in Coastal Areas generally. So, Deer often jump our fences at night to eat different flowers they like. I'm 6 foot 5 inches and I have had a male deer jump over my head to get away from me and my dogs who were on a leash at night one time. So, deer have to be watched for when driving at night especially where I live. Then there are raccoons, lots of them and skunks and Blue Jays and woodpeckers and many other birds from seagulls to cormorants because we are on the ocean. Then there are also wood rats who live in the forests naturally who can (if they want to chew through wood or cement to get to someplace warmer during the winters). So, where I live wood rats can be a problem under your house or in your attic in the winter time. They like to get near forced air heating ducts or make nests in fiberglass insulation for the winter. So, everyone where I live deals with this every winter time. But, if you are going to live in a beautiful forest on the ocean this is what you have to deal with in Northern California.

No comments: