Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Do you have enough controlled anger to survive the really difficult things in Life?

When I was little often my father and grandfather scared me with their intensity and intelligence. They were big and strong and no one messed with them ever because they were not only physically 6 foot 2 1/2 inches each they were also very intelligent and not fools in any way. So, I grew up sort of being respectful, afraid, but also idolizing my father and my grandfather as the larger than life characters they both were.

However, when I grew up I encountered many difficulties in my life too, and only my controlled anger  "and a lot of prayer" actually got me through these things.

It's not enough to just go off into anger and rage and kill yourself or someone else. That is just going to end your life and other people's lives too. Because whether you kill someone else or yourself either way in a sense you are dead. (wars are different than this because it becomes a completely different thing at that point). But, if it is just you versus the world this is what I'm referring to.

So, once again do you have enough "Controlled anger" to get you through what you are going to face in your life.

Many people are going to say to you, "Just calm down and everything will be fine." However, often that is a parent who would be perfectly happy for you to live with them until you are 40 or more.

So, if you ever want to have a life it starts with anger (not towards hurting anyone) but in using your anger to figure out a better life for you to live.

Let me give you an example of what I'm saying: My wife was going to have full knee replacement surgery last Wednesday and she did. I was worried that I was going to snap many times verbally and emotionally at her because I'm not naturally a nurse type of person. I'm more an idea man and problem solver. But, I have never seen myself as a long term nurse. So, I knew that even though I could do this that I was going to get angry periodically and I told my wife I was worried about coming through for her.

She said, "You're going to do just fine, Fred. If you didn't have that anger in you you wouldn't be able to do it right. You need your anger to fight for your own rights too in addition to mine through all this."

So then, I sort of started to have a little more confidence in how this whole thing was going to work. I drove my wife to the hospital where this operation was going to take place. She was a little scared. But, the sight of blood doesn't usually bother me and I have personally witness the births of all three of my children and with my first child there was no doctor at all just my wife and I 40 years ago now.

But, this was a different kind of thing. My wife was going to get a robot knee made of metal. They were going to cut the tips off her bones that meet at the knee and install metal pieces by cutting and then drilling holes for the pieces to fit into and then doweling the pieces with glue into place and then glueing the cut skin and stuff back into place. So, this was going to be very traumatic for her leg and it likely would stay swollen for about a year during recovery, even though she should be able to drive a car within about 3 weeks time if all went well.

A week has passed now. I felt sort of helpless while she was in the hospital and only being there as a support person. Then I had to drive her home about 48 hours after her surgery and this then became much more difficult for both of us. She got scared and cried a lot because of Percoset which is a very strong pain medicine often used in association with surgeries and C-sections during birthing which stitches heal up from surgery. Usually people aren't on it more than a week or two because it can be addictive after that.

Then there was the versed

Versed (midazolam) dosing, indications, interactions ...

reference.medscape.com/drug/versed-midazolam-342907
Medscape
Medscape - Indication-specific dosing for Versed (midazolam), frequency-based adverse effects, comprehensive interactions, contraindications, pregnancy ...
 
 
It is a amnesiac used when doctors want to be able to communicate with their patients during a surgery for better results but the patient does not want to remember what is happening and all the blood and guts later. This is what my wife wanted. I likely would have made a choice not to have a part of my memory erased. However, they did something like this too to me when I had electrical heart stimulation to see if they could repair my heart before they found out I had a heart virus instead.
 
I guess what I'm saying here is "Life isn't for sissies." Unless you are very brave in life something likely is going to drive you insane or kill you. You really have to be one tough son of a bitch to survive into old age male or female (whatever gender you prefer to be). Only the toughest and angriest (without hurting or injuring others) are going to make it.
 
So, controlled anger where you don't physically injure anyone is actually your best friend to live to old age along with a kind disposition in general.
 
My financial success always came through a whole lot of anger channeled into intelligent actions. However, my kind disposition is my reward for knowing when to be angry for short periods of time to make my life much more efficient for myself and my family and my friends ongoing.
 
Without the ability to be both kind and usefully angry I never could have raised so many children to adulthood since 1974 or have had a good a life as I have had by God's Grace!


No comments: