Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Running a business

Most people don't start businesses until their late 20s because most people don't have enough life experiences by themselves to wear enough hats to actually run a business by themselves. For example, my first business I started when I was 28. I realized I liked owning businesses but realized also I didn't like being a contractor. My first business was as a licensed Landscaping contractor that worked with Landscape archtects to develop wealthy properties near San Diego. However, I realized I wasn't hard nosed enough to want to keep doing that particular business. So, I learned more and more about businesses and owned several others as went through my life from Southern California to Mt. Shasta, to Hawaii to the San Francisco Bay Area where I live now.

But, you learn a lot more from your mistakes than you do from your successes. So, usually failures in business are going to allow you to succeed in the long run. So, I think what is important is that you start your first businesses out of your garage or home if you can so your investment is relatively small so if you make mistakes you can recover from them along the way and still succeed.

You really don't want your first business to be a multi million dollar investment to start with unless you are an internet start up or an apps business. Most of the time you start small and slowly build up.

Because often if you cannot train every person for every job and to understand what they need to be doing, often you shouldn't be in business in the first place.

No comments: