Sunday, September 6, 2026

Hotels

 I travel a lot in my life simply because I'm retired and my wife and I like to travel when we can. Though mostly we travel to Santa Barbara or Mt. Shasta where we have friends both places sometimes we stay at hotels. For me, one of the biggest things is "Can I open a window in that hotel room?" For some people this is not a big deal but it is a really big deal for me because I like Fresh air and to be out in the wilds if possible where the air is fresh and clean. However, I suppose if you are somewhere where the air is worse outside than in your room where there are fires or where coal fired heaters are burning you might not want to open your hotel window if you have purified air inside your room.

When I was in Portland last time I left the hotel with the windows that can't open in the hotel rooms for a much bigger room where we had not only a bathroom and a living room you sleep in but also a bedroom and a kitchen as well. However, then there was no cable TV and this was okay as long as I could get my Netflix to work but after traveling 2 weeks (Something you should be aware of) often Streaming services are going to cut off your service. So, unless you find some way around this like only get streaming services on your laptop or something like this this is something to be aware of too that is going on this year. When I was in Portland last the last couple weeks of June I had this experience where I was in this larger room with a bedroom and living room and kitchen area but no cable TV and then I tried Netflix (no luck) then Prime (no luck) then Apple plus (no luck) and every other streaming service I paid for at home and Santa Barbara.

So, I guess what I'm saying here is if you like to have cable TV or streaming services when you travel this is something you might want to look into before you find yourself in a situation like we found ourselves in in June in Portland when my son almost died a couple of times then and we needed something to distract ourselves from dealing with all of this so we could keep going in life then.

However, after returning home I found out that all my streaming services were okay and untouched they just wouldn't let me stream anything remotely if I was traveling more than 2 weeks which seems to be what happens now with streaming services.

So, for me, at least, I prefer when I can get it a hotel room with a window I can open for fresh air, especially if there are no fires outside burning with smoke everywhere, especially if the air is nice and clean like it tends to be in places like Mt. Shasta and POrtland (if there are no fires). 

No comments: