Wednesday, August 14, 2019

92 or more today in Mt. Shasta and 106 in Redding nearby

They opened Everitt Memorial Highway finally past Bunny Flat yesterday so we were some of the first people to drive up to Panther Meadows or the old Ski Bowl they tore down after the avalanche in the 1970s. So, we walked around taking pictures at first from the old Ski Bowl pavement at the end of the road and then I decided I wanted to walk down from Upper Panther Meadows to lower panther meadows. My wife decided to drive to lower panther meadows and meet us there with the truck. So, my friend and I walked out on upper Panther meadows where Panther Springs comes out of the rocks and creates the meadows all the way down and enjoyed the cold water and the fact that it was only about 76 degrees there instead of the 86 to 92 we found when we had returned to town. The restaurant we wanted to go to was closed today so we went to another one that was open and the three of us had a lovely dinner. But, my wife was feeling kind of sick from the heat and not getting into the shade at 8000 feet plus at Panther Meadows waiting for us to hike down from upper Panther Meadows. My friend and I were a little worried about her because the symptoms she described sounded a lot like mild Heat prostration and I noticed she wasn't wearing shorts and sandals like my friend and I were and this was definitely the warmest day of the year for me in Mt. Shasta even up on the mountain in the searing radiation at altitude you get. My biggest mistake was not putting sun block on but I did wear a baseball cap to keep the sun off my face and sun glasses to protect my eyes. So, we had my wife drink a lot of ice water and she started to perk up some and we became less worried. She likely drank 4 to 5 glasses of ice water during dinner and by the end she was coming back to normal and not feeling quite so sick. So, when you are in a new environment (we live at the ocean) you have to allow your bodies to adapt but also drink much more water if you don't want to get sick being outside in the dry air of the mountains or deserts of California during summers. Luckily there is no smoke. right now from fires. But, last year there was smoke in Mt. Shasta city from July 5th onward for 40 days straight when Redding and Paradise burned up. I had to leave Mt. Shasta on July 5th 2018 because I couldn't breathe right at this altitude myself last year. So, be careful and take care of yourself if you are in a different or new environment this summer than you are usually in.

No comments: