Friday, October 21, 2022

Here's the thing about turbulence on flights:

 The worst turbulence I ever experience that was violent and threw a stewardess up against the ceiling was flying to Maui from San Francisco around 1989 or 1990. At that moment I too hit my hit against the ceiling but I was young enough to not be injured seriously because I was only about 40 years old then.

People had to literally catch the stewardess because she fell across several seats in order to prevent any more injuries. I think she was able to stand up and remain a stewardess still after that even though her face got very white from going into a minor state of shock from the experience.

However, that experience taught me that if I wasn't walking to the bathroom on a plane or back from the bathroom that I needed to keep my seat belt fastened loosely in order to survive flights especially over the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. 

Why is turbulence bad over oceans? 

Usually storms like Hurricanes form over oceans and this tends to be where the highest winds and wind shears occur.

But, the bumpiest ride I ever had on a jet plane was from Incheon Airport in South Korea to San Francisco. this 11 hour ride was 9 hours of incredible bumpiness to the point where they wouldn't let us go to the bathroom. Finally because I couldn't hold it anymore I got up and a stewardess told me I should sit down. I told her that unless she wanted my seat smelling of pee I needed to go anyway so I did.

But, at the same time silverware was flying through the air and down into the empty seat next to us and down into the electric mechanism that allows one to turn one's business or first class seat into a bed or similar to that. I told the stewardess that silverware had been flying through the air and went down into the mechanism but I'm not sure she understood me because English wasn't her first language.

Before the silverware started flying around, the Miso soup was trying to fly outside the bowl so I think I tried to drink it before it got all over me. I was somewhat successful at this. 

No comments: