Saturday, October 29, 2022

My wife saw a sea snake at Napili Kai on Maui, Hawaii

 What was amazing going there after 3 years away because of Covid is that the beach does a really deep slope of about 12 or 13 feet suddenly down to the water. However, entering the water is similar I noticed today. However, it was really flat so getting in and out you weren't getting beat around by the surf even though you needed (I needed) to time how I got in shore with the little waves so it was easier for me at 74 and the same for my wife because she is 67 with a knee replacement. Also, I had to hold her hand down the steep slope of sand into the sea and up it again after we were snorkeling.

At our age I usually buy a boogie board and put the strap on and then swim free just for the added safety of a floatation device at our ages and physical difficulties we are dealing with at our age. 

However, at the reef nearby around it we immediately saw several humuhumunukunukaapuaa go swimming by (which is also known as a Triggerfish by non native Hawaiians too).

I put her on the boogie board and wore the leash on my left hand to have control of it and towed her out to the reef where most of the fish usually are. However, after towing her out there I didn't feel as strong as when I was just getting in and needed to head back to shore after a while with the fish. She wanted to go deeper and I didn't feel good about that especially because I was in the hospital around a month or so ago and am still building up my strength in my heart again after all that (3 day stay in the hospital). 

So, I asked her to let me get on shore and then she swam out beyond the reef and saw the sea snake which scared her because most sea snakes are poisonous that she and I know about.

However, they usually want nothing at all to do with humans so if you give them a wide berth of respect then usually you can survive being in the water with them. The sea snake around Maui is also poisonous we found out when we looked it up on line through her IPhone.

Also, in the past when people wanted to be closer to fish they would bring frozen peas for the fish to eat.

However, if triggerfish are around that's also a good way to lose fingers because triggerfish eat coral and so your fingers are much softer than coral. So, doing this is just a way to see a whole lot of fish and lose fingers while you are at it.

Anyway, it was a wonderful day snorkeling because the ocean was flat and very clear without any waves to speak of where we were at Napili Kai and so it was an ideal day for snorkeling at that beach when we first when there about 2 pm. But by 3 or 4 pm the wind came up and wasn't as good anymore unless you wanted to be blown around more on the surface. So, we had an amazing time snorkeling safely today.

No comments: