YES! I checked and it comes from Sanskrit. One of my best friends can translate Sanskrit. While he was getting his master's degree from UCLA in Los Angeles he took several years of Sanskrit. We both did a lot of rock climbing and mountain climbing from 1969 to about 1974 when my son was born and I got married. So, he can take Ancient Sanskrit and translate it directly into English from all that.
So, often when we were traveling to Mt. Shasta (where he lives now with his girlfriend) we would Stop at Shambala Book Store in Berkeley which at that time was the only place he could buy books on Sanskrit that were very big and think (about 3 inches thick usually back from 1969 to 1973 as we headed from Los Angeles County north through UC Berkeley and Shambhala Book store and then to Mt. Shasta for climbing or back packing or swimming or Kayaking and visiting friends who lived in Mt. Shasta then and some now as well.
Here is what I have found on the word "Vajra" which I will quote for you.
The single most important thing to know about the word Vajra is that it means Lightning
and it also means "Diamond"
So, if you are on the Varjayana path of Tibetan Buddhism it means instant enlightenment!
Like if you got hit by a bolt of lightning and became enlightened.
But, it also means a "Diamond Path" which means it is very strong and cannot be broken and people keep their vows like in a Diamond Path.
Here is the Quote I found:
- Literal Meaning: In Sanskrit, it represents an irresistible force like lightning (thunderbolt) and an unbreakable quality like a gem (diamond).
- Religious Role: It is a sacred ritual tool and symbol used in Hinduism, Buddhism (especially Vajrayana or "Thunderbolt Way" Buddhism), and Jainism.
No comments:
Post a Comment