I suppose if you want to travel to the Hawaiian Islands in Summer you would want to go to Kauai because the temperatures and humidity won't be as harmful. However, if you have air conditioning where you live and work this might be less important if you are living or visiting there.
One of my personal mind blowing experiences was in 2015 when I went with friends who are musicians and still are to the Kona Side of the Big Island and rented a Condo there for a few weeks with them. We went to a beautiful nearby beach where the water was at least 85 degrees Fahrenheit for snorkeling which is likely my favorite thing to do in Hawaii with all the beautiful tropical fish there.
I got so hot snorkeling that the only way I could cool down was to get out of the water and let the tropical breezes cool me down while walking along the shore (And this was in January of 2015!
When I arrived with my first wife and son in Hilo, Hawaii where she had lived with friends after High School it was 1974 and my son was about 6 months old then. However, I don't do well in the heat and wondered if I could survive August in Hilo, Hawaii with that much humidity and heat. I did but barely then.
So, ever since then I don't like going to the Hawaiian islands in the summer time (However, like I said the one exception to this is if you go to Kauai in the summers you likely will have less chance of heat stroke there than on the Big Island which is very far south of there. So, unless you really like heat and humidity you don't want to move to the Big Island of Hawaii especially during the summers.
However, it is also true that you can live like at 5000 feet elevation on the Big Island with more of a California kind of climate too. The same with Makawao on Maui. Makawao is usually nice most times of the year except when it really rains a lot because you are on the edge of a rainforest there.
When I lived on Maui in 1989 and 1990 I lived in Hana Maui and Paia on Maui too. So, losing Lahaina was very hard for us because we took the kids to Lahaina to have a more big city experience than other places on Maui. So, all our haunts are gone there except for the Big Banyan Tree which sort of reminds us of better times when we all lived there at that time. LIke the only movie theater at that time was in Lahaina and it burned up with most of the rest of Lahaina including the old Pioneer Inn near the ocean and Banyan tree where next door at Lappart's ice Cream we could get ice cream cones of Coconut Ice Cream which was all the rage then. Wonderful time on Maui then for my family! My son now 52 was about 15 then I think.
The last time I lived on Maui was 1990 and the last time I lived in Mt. Shasta was 1992. By 1995 I was remarried to my present wife and we have lived on the coast near San Francisco ever since. But I try to visit Maui and Kauai once a year and we go to Mt. Shasta 4 to 5 times a year when our health allows too.
By God's Grace
No comments:
Post a Comment