Sunday, August 1, 2010

Change August 1st 2010

When I was young I used to embrace change just like changing girlfriends
But now, change can be both a friend and an enemy simaltaneously
So I find now I both reach out and find myself wanting to cower from change at the same time
My bravado that I embraced change often leaves me emotionally hanging in space wondering
whether bravado is still the answer
The old 'nothing ventured nothing gained'

So, even at 62 I decided I would rather jump on a motorcycle than see myself a temporary cripple
even though the risk upset my wife
After all, all the men of my father's family lived and died like Vikings
Who am I to be different than the bravado they all lived and died with
even though it can be hard on the women
to lose their men to the macho bravado of men like these

But "nothing ventured nothing gained"
So I live much like my father and grandfather
afraid of nothing I don't need to be
There is nothing to fear except fear itself

And being 6 feet 5 inches tall helps a lot!
To maintain the illusion that we all are all the time we are alive!

No comments: