Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Strange Noises from the Ocean

My wife and I had a strange experience. When she came home from business errands I said, "Hey. What's that noise from the ocean? It sounds like 50 foot high waves are coming in?" So, we jumped into our car and drove towards the ocean but the ocean was relatively flat about 1 mile from our house. When we returned to our home the noise "like of 50 foot high waves crashing" was coming from another direction. Then it stopped. Later that night after I picked up my daughter from an appointment she had I heard it again while unloading my truck. Again it was coming from the original direction we heard it coming from earlier today. We still don't know what it is but it sounds just like normal surf pounding a beach if that surf was about 50 feet high. So it is about 10 times louder than normal surf. So, we thought maybe it was an ocean liner going by and the wake might be hitting the shore from a 35 to 40 mph ship? But they don't usually come this close to where we live for a variety of reasons. The other possibility is that there might be some sort of naval war games going on far out to sea possibly beyond the 10 or 20 mile limit where people can actually still see them. Or maybe it could be naval jets flying out to sea or something like that.  So, for now it is still an unknown.

I live on the northern California coast in the vicinity of the San Francisco Bay area.

No comments: