Thursday, July 25, 2013

IPad falls from edge of space and survives

I found on youtube.com several interesting science experiements. This is the first one I thought I would quote for you.

2:20

iPad Falls From Edge Of Space - And Survives

Attached to a weather balloon, an Apple iPad was lifted to over 100000 feet and dropped back down to Earth. But is iPad the best ...

If you click on the "iPad Falls------" you can see it rise up on a weather balloon until the balloon pops and it returns to earth. Pretty amazing! 

Also, my wife and I had a funny experience with her Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. She and I were traveling in separate cars heading toward a friends house and were driving along the coast near Santa Barbara, California. We both have hands free phone set-ups in our vehicles so we were talking as we drove. Suddenly I saw something to the right of the car sort of bounce off the ground and couldn't figure out what it was. Then suddenly we couldn't talk on the phones anymore and I realized what I had seen must have been her Galaxy S3 that she must have left somehow on the roof of her car. The built in roof rack on the SUV had likely protected it until she took a hard left turn on a curvy road. Since I couldn't talk to her on the phone I started honking my horn at her to stop. But this took several miles for her to realize what I wanted. I told her that I thought her phone had been left on her roof and fallen off on a certain corner. When we got back to the beach where this had happened I quickly double parked my 4wd Truck and ran across the hiway when it was safe. Sure enough there was the Galaxy S3. But what amazed me is the plastic protector backing had blown off it in the fall but outside of a few scratches on the back of the S3 it worked just fine. So, I just put the plastic protector backing back on it and handed it to her and it has worked just fine ever since. Amazing! So, under some circumstances these Ipad like devices and smartphones can survive really amazing things! It is several months later and her phone is still working perfectly by the way! This phone hit the ground at about 35 mph and was fine except for a few scratches that are hidden by the plastic protective case which looked perfect by the way.
 

No comments: