Thursday, July 25, 2013

Crossbow vs Dr Pepper Ten at 2500 fps-The Slow Mo

Crossbow vs Dr Pepper Ten at 2500fps - The Slow Mo Guys

Gav ruins some perfectly good beverages with a crossbow IN SUPER SLOW MOTION! Follow on Twitter ...
  • OFFICIAL
  • HD
  •  
  • What is interesting to me is how the Dr Pepper reacts to the crossbow going through it. In some ways I guess this is expected but I guess I wouldn't have expected it to fizz so much or react so strongly to being pierced in this way. So, by doing these sorts of things all sorts of things we wouldn't necessarily expect are happening here.
  •  
  • I have another story in regard to crossbows. My best friend in Junior High was taking metal shop. So, he made a crossbow out of s single piece of aluminum about 3 feet long by 3 inches by 3 inches. I'm not sure a Metal shop in Junior High would allow you to do something like this now but they did then. Then he took a piece of likely steel and made the bow and then used some piano wire as the bow string. This made a very powerful crossbow. So, when he took it into his backyard he had no real idea of just how powerful it was. So, when he shot it it went through his bale of hay with the target on it, then through the house he lived in (luckily no one was hurt) and finally it went across the street and lodged itself into neighbor's house. He also made his own arrows or bolts out of aluminum shafts the shape of arrow shafts then in 1960.
  •  
  •  
  • Another time my father showed me how to use electrical 1/2 inch emt tubing to make blowguns. So we cut off 3 to 4 feet sections of it and sanded the ends so it wouldn't cut our mouths. Then at the time it was either Life or Look magazines had the right chemical combination to cut the pages into strips and form them into cones and if you licked the edges you had a cone. Then you dropped the cone into the pipe and then tore the part of the cone that was too big to fit through the pipe so you had a paper dart to blow through. They were so accurate I showed my best friends how to make them. But then it sort of got dangerous because not all of my friends were as responsible as myself and Mike who made the crossbow. So, one of my friends started dipping the paper cones into wax after putting a straight pin through the hollow cone when it came out the front. This made the cone and pin stick into things. But then he shot some girl in the rear end as she walked down the street and finally got into trouble by shooting a dart through a truck drivers window and hitting him in the face. But, as far as I know he was the only one who actually took things too far. 
  •  
  • However, many A students into Science would get goggles to protect their eyes and have battles in teams back then much like paint ball battles are fought today only with paper darts and blowguns made with 1/2 inch emt electrical pipe. I don't think you could use plastic pipe because it might give too much friction to have the dart fly with your breath. So, you have to be very careful doing this and to wear goggles if you are going to do this with friends. Also, you don't want to drive the pipe through your front teeth or throat if you are running around during battle among friends with darts. So, this was sort of an old fashioned thing my father taught me that he used to do during the 1920s with his brothers. If you aren't safe doing this you likely shouldn't do it at all. But, it is a pretty fun thing to do if you are careful.
  •  
  • Note: I was thinking you might experiment with 8 by 11 computer paper that you print out your homework or business papers with. By cutting it with scissors lengthwise into strips you might use either scotch tape or something else to keep the paper cones from coming undone because I don't think any magazines today would work the old way.

No comments: