Wednesday, June 26, 2019

I never found a career that made me happy except being a parent and sometimes a husband

I have been in my life full or part time a newspaper boy (age 10 and age 14), working at various factories building things (started about age 15 and sometimes doing this at various times when I didn't own my own business from then on. But, I mostly owned businesses from about age 28 or so on in my life as I liked doing that the best. However, I never found a career like being a doctor or lawyer or dentist or even computer programmer that I was dedicated to in my whole life. So, the closest that something made me happy was owning and running my own business. Why?

I never liked people telling me what to do. I'm an idea person and not a plodder. I never was a plodder so I always preferred figuring out what to do in my life for myself.

However, you have to have enough life experience to wear enough hats so to speak before you start your own business(es). So, often people try to start a business before they have enough experience and then they fail and then they just give up. But, in life (especially in businesses of all kinds) you are going to learn much more from your failures than your successes.

But, you don't want to start a "High investment" business first time out because then if you fail often you will also have to go bankrupt in a Chapter 11, a Chapter 13 or a Chapter 8 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 11 is for businesses. A Chapter 13 is for when you have enough money to pay back part of your debts and often you can also keep your car and your home if you own one while paying back about 10% of your debts in the process. A Chapter 8 is for when you just lose everything so bad you lose your home, your car, all your furniture and possessions and you basically give up everything and don't pay anything back. But, just remember you will always have to pay back the principle on your student loans. This is something you can't get out of unless you leave the country and don't ever come back.

So, if you are going to start a business try a low over head one out of your garage or something first. Just remember Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak started Apple Computers in one of their parents garages at first. So, if you are making or building something to sell consider making it and selling it online out of your garage first because it keeps your costs down so you can afford to stay alive while doing all this.

Or you can work part time at a real job and part time at your business in your garage too until it's successful and then you can work your business full time.

But, just remember, low overhead is the best way to start a new business, especially your first time out. So, if you fail you don't have to go bankrupt because of it.

And remember you have to have enough life experience or to work with someone who does to make any business successful.

No comments: