Wednesday, June 19, 2019

106 degrees while traveling north on Interstate 5

Where I live on the coast it has been winter (60 degree highs with clouds and fog) like with wet decks from drizzling in the mornings when I wake up since it was 95 degrees a week or two ago. However, if you get inland far enough away from the Northern California ocean it's a different story. So, as I headed north up Interstate 5 I ran into up to 106 degree Fahrenheit temperatures but most were in the 102 range most of the way once you were on 5. But, when you leave Redding they might be working on the bridge which took about an extra hour for me to get north. Then, at Flume Creek Road southbound a Semi Truck had turned over on the freeway and so no one much was getting south to Redding going that way at all. At least after an hours wait going north from Redding over the first bridge over Shasta lake on 5 things got back to normal at least heading north. But, there was no normal heading south at all. I wondered why there were no cars or trucks heading south while I was stuck in traffic going north. but, at Flume Creek Road south of Dunsmuir I came upon many emergency vehicles and one very turned over Semi truck and trailer and everyone trying to figure out how to fix that mess? And then people in cars and trucks backed up all the way to Dunsmuir from around Flume Creek Road. When I arrived in Shasta it was in the 80s but by sundown it dropped down a lot because it is only going to be in the low 70s tomorrow. Friends said they had kayaked on the hottest day on Castle lake and my friends girlfriend had swum all across Castle lake which usually is too cold to do that this time of year but likely it was a very very hot day so she got away with it and could stay warm enough to do this.

No comments: