Saturday, July 5, 2008

Conversations with Vegetables

Yes. You read this right. It all started at a Greek Restaurant with my grown son, my 12 year old and my wife and I. My wife said after we all laughed until we all almost fell out of our dinner chairs, "Fred. You need to write about this." I said, "You know this would make a great title for a book." I thought to myself about the book called "The Secret Life of Plants" that came out I believe in the 1970s.

What I said to my family has to be put in context or you will surely think me a loon. First of all, I have been a lifelong telepathic and psychic. Even at age 2 I knew what people thought and wondered why no one (at least adults) ever said what they actually thought about anything. I would wonder as a child about the mental gymnastics that adults went though not to infuriate other adults with the truth of what they actually thought and felt and by 12 to 15 began to understand that basic politeness was how wars and fights were prevented by adults and how civilization actually functioned as well as it did at least where we live in the U.S. and Europe and other civilized places.

As I grew older being a psychic made me naturally gravitate toward animism as a personal experience of life all the time. An animist experiences all things as being alive. An animist who is extremely telepathic and a precognitive psychic like me can communicate with anything, sometimes with very humorous results. What is even funnier is that many times plants, animals, and even inanimate objects save my life by telling me how not to die or be maimed. This happens all the time so I have just grown used to it like many country people worldwide. I find that only country people and those city people who have learned to slow down and process intuitively with common sense all the time live in this "safe" world that I live in. As long as I am "in tune" with all life around me I am safe. They take care of me and I likewise take care of all beings around me all the time as best as I can.

So, when my daughter said, "People who are vegetarians are funny because they are against eating living things, plants are alive. Imagine what a piece of celery could be thinking while it was going down one's throat?" the conversation came to a perfect timing point for me to mention that I have conversations with apples, tomatoes, celery, lettuce and especially potatoes before I bake them in the microwave. I said, "The potatoes say to me 'what are you doing?' and I will say I'm going to cook you and they usually say something like, 'well this should be an interesting experience'". I don't tell the potatoes too much because that would be unkind and make them afraid.
I have made this mistake before and since I have to eat the potatoes to stay alive it is sort of like native americans when they kill a deer they say, "I'm sorry dear, my family needs your meat to live. Please forgive me for taking your life. I will use every part of you so I won't have to kill another deer very soon. You will become my tent, my winter clothes, your horns I will use as knives and your brains I will use to cure your skin to make a soft buckskin for my wife. I will use all of you so I won't have to kill again soon". This is the kind of thing native Americans say when taking a life to survive.

Likewise, if an innocent tomato or potato or apple asks me something I try to be kind and to think how I would feel while being eaten and what I would like to hear. So I try to treat all beings as my friends or relatives even while I know I have to eat to live. I feel less obligation with more processed food because it is not alive in the same way anymore. But whole tomatoes, apples, carrots, heads of lettuce etc. are very alive and consciousness is usually very innocent in these beings so they deserve respect. If you cannot respect your food then you cannot respect yourself.

No comments: