Thursday, July 3, 2008

Putting the county First

This following is a quote by John McCain from an article he recently wrote. Even though I presently support Obama because I think he is what the world needs now to survive I greatly respect McCain's patriotism and sacrifice for this country. If McCain was younger and if Bush hadn't just been president for 8 years I think McCain might have made a good president if he were elected in 2000.

Begin quote:
Two of our greatest statesmen, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, took their last breaths on July 4, 1826, exactly 50 years after they presented America with our Declaration of Independence. They had been fellow revolutionaries, the closest of comrades, who went on to become bitter political rivals. Then, as the new era of the 1800s dawned, they reconciled, reminded of their old friendship and the momentous history they had made together. "Who shall write the history of the American revolution?" Adams asked Jefferson in one of the 158 letters they exchanged after they'd rediscovered their bonds. "Nobody," responded Jefferson, suggesting that while writers could understand the facts, they might never grasp the sacrifices.endquote

All of us make varying sacrifices for what we believe in. For example, when I graduated High School, my mother needed and operation so I didn't go to college for one year and worked full time to help pay for this operation and put off returning to college for this purpose. Other boys my age joined the military or were drafted and went to Viet Nam. I wasn't drafted because I had had childhood epilepsy and sunstroke. At the time I was embarrassed by this and usually told people I had a student deferment when I was in college. Each of us make the sacrifices necessary to keep our family and friends alive. Some people take this even further and give up their lives and personal fortunes for the future of their country. It is all a matter of what gifts we have and how we want to use them.

Whatever gifts you have be sure to be kind and wise and efficient, all the time doing whatever you can to help all beings. Living in this way always creates success of all kinds in ones life and in the lives of those around you.

No comments: