Sunday, January 4, 2009

writing with UBUNTU

Within the last 2 months or so I wrote another blog article about UBUNTU. Like Firefox, UBUNTU loads over the internet, and is free. And like Firefox, UBUNTU is superior to almost any other. The difference is that UBUNTU is a complete, linux based operating system and superior to anything my son and I have seen, in regard to speed of downloading and basic efficiency at almost everything it does. No matter what your system is everything will download over the internet much faster than with any other operating system my son and I have seen.

My son, was a computer tech for years but a few years ago decided he would rather fix people than computers so he is studying to become an RN. However, he still builds computers as a hobby and is quite taken with UBUNTU and the most superior linux based open source operating system yet. And remember all you have to do is download it for free over the internet anywhere on earth. Its superior design to anything available on earth for money makes it even more amazing as an operating system. If you are not familiar with open source technology, it simply means that any programmer in college or his or her spare time can help design an operating system or any other program like Firefox or any other software by collaborating all over earth. Since everyone's motivation is to design the best thing on earth so they can use it an not usually for profit one gets superior software designed this way to anything that can be bought for any price on earth.

For example, using the beauty of TCP/IP (transfer control protocol/ Internet protocol) which translates from any computer operating system language to access the Internet, I am writing this from an ubuntu operating system. My son created a dual boot(XP default or UBUNTU) decision tree when it comes up which means it will load XP unless I designate UBUNTU. Since I don't have to worry about viruses or adware I usually choose UBUNTU on this system which is a laptop.

I have pretty much gone away from Windows operating systems so that I have 2 IMACS, 1 macbook and this PC laptop which now runs both UBUNTU and XP. VISTA slows any system down so terribly that I don't want a VISTA system because it is like driving a car with the emergency brake on to run vista on any computer.

I think we may be at a tipping point where most people will go with open source operating systems worldwide just like they have gone with Firefox as a browser because it doesn't have the security holes for passwords that most Explorer browsers do. Even though Microsoft keeps building patches I think the real problem is that windows was originally not designed on the old XT's in the early 1980s for internet because it did not exist then, at least on PCs. It only existed mostly on mainframes at colleges and military and governmental institutions. So PCs back in the early 1980s had no need for internet security because it just didn't exist in that form yet.

As a result since most of the windows krnls are still based upon the XT model it makes all windows versions problematic for security and somehow this problem has also been passed on to Explorer browsers as well. This I don't completely understand. Those of you who do might help solve this problem one way or the other.

No comments: