Monday, February 17, 2020

Teachers were crazy when I was a child too

It's one reason why I advocate either home schooling your children on independent study or putting your child in a private school. Because public schools often are sort of like reformatories for children with teachers who have mental health problems as well.

I can remember 3rd grade the clearest with a teacher called Mrs. Bishop picking up boys only by the ears several feet off the ground. She had had a divorce recently and had snapped. I behaved very well for her because I was only 8 years old and didn't want to go deaf like the other boys from being lifted off the ground screaming like the other boys. I also had to watch boys especially be paddled by teachers and the principle and in junior high and High school by the Vice Principals. This was difficult to watch with the paddles all wood the size of tennis rackets with holes drilled in them so you could hit kids harder so the wind would go through the paddles. They made bend over so they could then hit the boys as hard as they could. This wasn't always useful because boys have testosterone and often doing this just made them meaner and crazier or they would just leave school and never come back.

But, the point I'm making here is some public school teachers have always  tortured kids.

Oh. Mrs. Bishop my third grade teacher was fired within a month or two of torturing boys that were wild and unruly by lifting them off the ground and holding them off the ground a couple of feet by both their ears.

But then there was my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Crell or Krell (not sure) who got pregnant at 24 or 26 and was happily married and discovered me as writer when I was 9 and read my work before the class. She was likely my best grade school teacher because she was very happy. This was the first time I realized I had talent as a writer in 4th grade. But, I was always a good speller and often won spelling bees because I was good at memorizing speeches and letters for spelling words. This helped a lot in writing. Then in 7th grade I took a typing class one summer I believe and learned to type. After this I could write really fast and have been good with typewriters and keyboards ever since about 1960 or 1961 when I was in junior High.

No comments: